Wyoming High Ledge Ponderosa - For Klytus

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The story is getting more and more interesting now. I love the rolling, one-sided nebari on the surface.
The dillemma is what to do with the two competing leaders. It would be nice to keep both, but unfortunately, that's not an option. One needs to be shortened/jinned. But the tree doesn't make it easy for us (as usual, with yamadori): the lower one has the better balance (since it bends nicely over the base), but it's too straight. The higer one has better movement, but it grows awkwardly over the edge, providing little blance. So, you need to be bold and daring, and make a leap of faith, hoping that you've made the right one.

Exactly right, Atilla. This was driven home the more I tried to work with it the other day. I will wait until next season, then get really bold with it if the way forward becomes more clear. Leaving options open with two ikebana in the tuba seems wisest for the moment. :D

I think the dilemma will ultimately be solved by the fortunate positioning of the small central lower branch at the base of the lower leader - it may compliment the lower leader well if the upper is jinned. The lower has always been the more essential of the two, IMO, not only making for a far more compact and organized tree, but framing the rolling nebari (great choice of words) very nicely.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the dilemma will ultimately be solved by the fortunate positioning of the small central lower branch at the base of the lower leader - it may compliment the lower leader well if the upper is jinned. The lower has always been the more essential of the two, IMO, not only making for a far more compact and organized tree, but framing the rolling nebari (great choice of words) very nicely.

I think you are speaking my mind. It's also a good idea to add some more foliage to the lower leader, before the upper one is removed. This way, the tree will not miss too much the lost foliage, and it will be easier on the roots (root-rot is the danger, when too little foliage).
And I agree that giving some more time is a good thing, some ideas need more time to hatch, and eventually the time will come when you don't want to wait anymore. But the timing has to feel right.

Last edited:

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe thin the middle out more to create the dominant lead trunk, supported by a side branch set.
Just a thought...

Attachments

• thinned.jpg
    thinned.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 67

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Here's what I see in this tree, down the road. My virt's not nearly as good as Edro's (you're good, E!) but maybe this will spark some ideas, if nothing else.

(I too like your term, Attila: "rolling nebari." I hereby serve notice that I intend to plagiarize it whenever it seems apropos! ;) )

Attachments

• WYLedgePondy-3-10 virt.jpg
    WYLedgePondy-3-10 virt.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Edro and Treebeard! Both are nice virts, and embody the two ways forward I was thinking of.

When I said the tree was too "busy", I was thinking of doing what you have done, edro, opening out the middle. It's very pleasing, and yet it draws the eye upwards, the "focal point" ending up among the deadwood up high most likely.

Normally, deadwood makes a great focal point, but it usually unifies the tree better for me if it is down low. For me, the nebari and the base on this tree are probably more of a draw than the deadwood up high. I want the branching structure and foliage to draw the eye to those lower features, and Treebeard's virt shows that result, it if can be achieved skillfully. That's what I have to see as I study the tree over the next year.

Thanks again for great virts and great ideas.

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Beautiful nebari. However wrong pot and wrong placement in the pot at least in my opinion.
Sometimes the root mass of a tree dictates how it is placed in a pot. The majority of the 9 Ponderosas I collected this year I would have preferred a different placement in their pots but it just didn't suit the tree. DAve in Colorado:cool:

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey Klytus. Here's the start of a progression thread on Johnny Two-pots. The original photo is included.

The second pot was a partial success, allowing enough new roots to form far enough ahead that I was able to successfully sever about 1/3 the long roots trailing off behind. In the future, I'll likely trim the trailing roots even further.

The new front in the second photo strikes me as prettier. There is alot of back budding, and the tree is very vibrant, so I think it will be a lot of fun one to work with over time.
Where in the state of Wyoming was it collected. It's a fantastic tree and a good size. I collected 9 Ponderosas this year and when I got them home I realized how large they were. Trees in the wild always look smaller. Dave in Colorado.:cool:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's an update on this guy, now in the often-mentioned new pot.

I must say, reviewing this thread after all this time, seeing posts from all the old-timers that got lost along the way as things changed . . . bittersweet. 2011 was a very good year to be alive on BNut.

Anyway, enjoy the update.

CliffPondy.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I played Tuba in the high school band for 4 years. Serious.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah yes, but were you playing Klytus' tuba?

No way! He is a little too weird for my taste. I've read his posts. I imagine the reason for him not posting here anymore is that the guys in white suits and giant butterfly nets finally caught up to him.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I miss Klytus.

Klytus was Klytus. His like shall never be heard from again. After he left us, we were confined to mere sanity and coherence, confined to the banal, to merely appropriate posts. No more would we wonder at the artificial sense of the English language, the fabricated syntax that held insanity at bay like a crazed wolverine, the hubristic glue that cohered a reality we could share. Now, alas, the best we can aspire to is a feeble muddling through, our souls trapped in a consensus reality manufactured to imprison us, to cast doubt on our very interest in tubas and bonasi Singing in the Pines at the sanitarium . . .

and with mother finally ******, and the last fantastic book flung out of the tenement window, and the last door closed at 4 A.M. and the last telephone slammed at the wall in reply
and the last furnished room emptied down to the last piece of mental furniture, a yellow paper rose twisted on a wire hanger in the closet,
and even that imaginary, nothing but a hopeful little bit of hallucination—

ah, Carl, while you are not safe I am not safe, and now you’re really in the total animal soup of time—

Top Bottom