Wyoming High Ledge Ponderosa - For Klytus

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Klytus. Here's the start of a progression thread on Johnny Two-pots. The original photo is included.

The second pot was a partial success, allowing enough new roots to form far enough ahead that I was able to successfully sever about 1/3 the long roots trailing off behind. In the future, I'll likely trim the trailing roots even further.

The new front in the second photo strikes me as prettier. There is alot of back budding, and the tree is very vibrant, so I think it will be a lot of fun one to work with over time.

Attachments

• PondyHighCrack-09.jpg
    PondyHighCrack-09.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 304
  • WYLedgePondy-3-10.jpg
    WYLedgePondy-3-10.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 364

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
He's looking a bit obstinate at the moment,waving his three needles in mockery of Bonsai.

Ownership of his pot will most likely be with equal vim and vigour.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Beautiful nebari. However wrong pot and wrong placement in the pot at least in my opinion.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful nebari. However wrong pot and wrong placement in the pot at least in my opinion.

I think part of the problem Grouper is working with is the fact that there are very long, thick ancient roots that only move in one direction. You want to keep a tight pot for the root mass, so placement can be an issue with collected ponderosas.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was inspired to head for the hills,no Ponderosa but plenty of Pinus Nigra Laricio the Spaghetti western black pine.

No Gold either,Pyrites yes.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think part of the problem Grouper is working with is the fact that there are very long, thick ancient roots that only move in one direction. You want to keep a tight pot for the root mass, so placement can be an issue with collected ponderosas.

That's exactly right. In a few more years it should be in a more permanent pot and better placed, but one step at a time for now.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

appearantly some people think it's that easy....

Will,
Thanks for sharing your trees. We're definately going to have to hook up some time.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An update after initial stying the last two days. Still not too happy with the styling - far, far too busy, but I'll let it recover before doing more in future years.

I artificially shortened the needles, BTW, so I could get a better idea what I was doing - in reality they are hard to get short, tending to want to grow long and scraggly looking. :)

Enjoy.

Attachments

• LedgePondy-11.jpg
    LedgePondy-11.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 192
  • LedgePondy2-11.jpg
    LedgePondy2-11.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 186

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Klytus. Here's the start of a progression thread on Johnny Two-pots. The original photo is included.

The second pot was a partial success, allowing enough new roots to form far enough ahead that I was able to successfully sever about 1/3 the long roots trailing off behind. In the future, I'll likely trim the trailing roots even further.

The new front in the second photo strikes me as prettier. There is alot of back budding, and the tree is very vibrant, so I think it will be a lot of fun one to work with over time.

Why are you showing anything to Klytus, he doesn't know a bonsai from a tuba with a flower arrangement in it.

Harry

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why are you showing anything to Klytus, he doesn't know a bonsai from a tuba with a flower arrangement in it.

Harry

I hope you understand that I'm not allowed to answer directly, and I can't name names, but let me give you a hypothetical that might explain my reasoning.

Imagine that I do contract work on occasion for groups like MI5. Perhaps they would have contacted me several years ago, asking for help with a certain member here at BNut. All they could tell me were vague references to "national security," Interpol, and something about the meds not working anymore. They knew this person was hanging out on BNut, thinking that bonsai were tuba flower arrangements.

In such a hypothetical case, I might anticipate that this "chap" probably would think that a certain tree actually was a tuba flower arrangement if I posted it specifically for him. He would likely think I was just calling it a bonsai so it could be posted to him here, since we don't know each other on the tuba flower arrangement site he hosts. Of course, perhaps, it might be possible that he couldn't really communicate all this to me, given that communication generally requires a shared reality and coherent thought processes - hence the need of MI5 to work through me here at BNut.

Now, you can imagine that I might, in such a case, suspect that others would later come along who also knew about his fetish - especially if it was, perhaps, common knowledge across the water, frequently mentioned in the tabloids. I might figure posts like yours would start to appear, and that they then might start to then nudge him out of his delusions, might get him to begin questioning his deranged reality.

Suppose posts such as yours did not appear after I initially started the thread. Suppose my man was still wrapped up in his bonsai-as-tuba-flower-arrangement world. I might discuss it with MI5. They might encourage an update on the tree after an appropriate interval, fishing again for a spontaneous post such as yours, hoping to crack the walls behind which who-knows-what lurks.

In our scenario, if the situation did not improve even after a post such as yours, it might be a good idea to post yet again next season with further updates, again trying to entice just the right comments from members to break through to the shred of sanity that is hopefully still cowering somewhere amidst the evil maelstrom inside our man's head.

Anyway, I can't say more. My hypothetical "MI5 contracts" might extend beyond just one member here at BNut, so they may be watching things pretty closely here. You understand.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If i learnt anything today it was that Oklahoma is home for an elite cadre of surrealist,unseen and yet often heard.

The reclining trunk looks a bit unrelaxed,uneasy in it's new pot.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Funny , I just saw a cartoon in the paper about a static cloud messing with certain types of minds . It was presented as a weather report and the weather map was strangely Oklahoma shaped

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grouper, expect an unfriendly visit from a double-naught agent soon...:D For your sake I hope it won't be good old Number 7...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The story is getting more and more interesting now. I love the rolling, one-sided nebari on the surface.
The dillemma is what to do with the two competing leaders. It would be nice to keep both, but unfortunately, that's not an option. One needs to be shortened/jinned. But the tree doesn't make it easy for us (as usual, with yamadori): the lower one has the better balance (since it bends nicely over the base), but it's too straight. The higer one has better movement, but it grows awkwardly over the edge, providing little blance. So, you need to be bold and daring, and make a leap of faith, hoping that you've made the right one.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Funny , I just saw a cartoon in the paper about a static cloud messing with certain types of minds . It was presented as a weather report and the weather map was strangely Pklahoma shaped

I looked for Pklahoma, but I came up empty. Where on the map is it located.........:p

Harry

Top Bottom