Wyoming trees

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Recently returned from our trip the the Wind River Mtns in Wyoming. Thought I'd share pics of some of the amazing trees here. I have some other photos of the mountains, and lakes we backpacked around in, I'll try to get some of them posted here as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2721.jpg
    IMG_2721.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 115

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Judy,

Great photos of great trees!

Some of the best collecting is in Wyoming - Ponderosa and RMJ abound. [See chapter, "The Collecting Grounds," in Gnarly Branches] Did you attempt any collecting?

Will

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Judy! You should stop by next time you're out here.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Will,
We go out for over a week at a time, so carrying something more than the essentials is pretty impossible... I'd have no way to transport it home anyway since we fly in and out. And I don't know what the permits are like...

Dan, it's one of our favorite places to come out to. It was a great trip, I'm sure we'll be back in a couple years. Lots to still do, and lots of places to revisit.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Will,
We go out for over a week at a time, so carrying something more than the essentials is pretty impossible... I'd have no way to transport it home anyway since we fly in and out. And I don't know what the permits are like...

Dan, it's one of our favorite places to come out to. It was a great trip, I'm sure we'll be back in a couple years. Lots to still do, and lots of places to revisit.

Great trip pics Judy, Thanks! Incredibly lg. and beautiful PPs! Too bad you couldn't collect while you were out there. I've got a wish/plan? to drive out there to Wyoming, do some collecting. Then head out to Portland and visit family and visit Randy while I'm there. Then drive south to Ca. from there and stock up on cheap lava and pumice, and visit some nurseries in N. Ca. If I collected enough trees, it would make the trip financially feasible. It'd be a great road trip home. I love driving long distance and this would be a trip of my dreams lol I'm envious of you trip Judy if you couldn't tell ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We are addicted to the mountains out west, we save up our flyer miles for our yearly fix....
;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks wonderful, thank you for sharing. We could not travel last season as my dog was not doing well. We so missed our occasional outings and camping. I am hoping I can get the yard at the new place in order early Spring so we can go enjoy natural beauty, bourbon, brandy, and beers as well :cool:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Chris, save up some money and make it happen! :) I've been picking up pumice in Portland at great prices.

Also, the pines Judy posted all appear to be either Limber or White-bark pines FWIW. :) (All except the first picture of course)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Chris, save up some money and make it happen! :) I've been picking up pumice in Portland at great prices.

Also, the pines Judy posted all appear to be either Limber or White-bark pines FWIW. :) (All except the first picture of course)

It's something I def. want to do Dan. It'll prob. have to wait till I stop taking seasonals from Michael as I can't afford both. And right now, I'm not so sure how I'm going to like it, or how many I want to commit to yet. I'm pretty sure though that I'm going to love Michaels classes.

And lol, I was taking a not so lucky guess at the species. ;) How can you tell from the pics Dan?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sure you'll love the classes! I just returned last week from my 2nd one. We had a great time, and learned a lot as always.

The main reason I can tell is probably just because I see them all the time. But the bark helps a lot; Ponderosa is usually orange/red and bigger plates, and Lodgepole is generally a darker black/grey (sometimes a little orange) and has smaller plates than ponderosa but still quite a bit larger than Limber. Limber is the grey color you see in the pictures with small, tight bark. Limber and White-bark are almost impossible to tell apart without seeing the cone, from what I understand. I aslo know that there are a lot of limber and supposedly white-bark in that area.

Needles are another helpful sign but not necessarily as easy to tell from pictures.

Hope this helps! :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The main reason I can tell is probably just because I see them all the time. But the bark helps a lot; Ponderosa is usually orange/red and bigger plates, and Lodgepole is generally a darker black/grey (sometimes a little orange) and has smaller plates than ponderosa but still quite a bit larger than Limber. Limber is the grey color you see in the pictures with small, tight bark. Limber and White-bark are almost impossible to tell apart without seeing the cone, from what I understand. I aslo know that there are a lot of limber and supposedly white-bark in that area.

Needles are another helpful sign but not necessarily as easy to tell from pictures.

Hope this helps! :)

You Sir are a Gentleman and Kind! The reason real reason you know those trees is your many years in the field collecting spending hundreds of hours and back breaking work. Keep up the great work! ;)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You Sir are a Gentleman and Kind! The reason real reason you know those trees is your many years in the field collecting spending hundreds of hours and back breaking work. Keep up the great work! ;)

Thanks Grim! I don't think I would say many years yet, but I'm working on it. :) Being out here in the mountains all the time certainly helps with identifying them.

The Wind River's are some of my favorite mountains! But I've never collected there. I'm not sure the rock formations are as good for collecting, but I'll have to go back sometime for a closer look at least. ;)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great pics! So there was not even room to collect a few shohin size trees? ;)

Rob

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dan, the area we were in was from the Lander side, we normally go from the Pinedale side. The trees were way twistyer, and interesting on this side, particularly at the Stough lakes basin. Very interesting trees at our last lake as well, a very alpine lake that obviously gets very strong winds from the outflow side. Didn't get many good pics of these, as it was getting ready to storm us in the tent for the last 8 hours.... At least we didn't get any of the flooding that Co. got, but we did get significant rain for a couple of nights. One was pretty hairy, with thunder, sleet and hail. Here are a few post with pics of the great alpenglow, and sunrises, and general fab scenery....Also a couple more tree shots! One very large bristlecone.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 27

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
More, more more....

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 19

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last ones, hope no one cares that this is not about "just" trees....

Attachments

• IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 17

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a picturesque trip, thanks for sharing!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing. Your legs must be sore from all the hiking!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome trip and great pictures Judy!

Is that another pine in your 3rd set of pictures? I've seen some huge Limber's where I collect that look just like this... like a big old deciduous tree...lol. Don't they know they can't grow that way? :rolleyes:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great photos. Some of those scenery shots look like they could be blown up and hung on a wall like a Peter lik.

Top Bottom