Wyoming Trident 101

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are random pictures I took last year soon after receiving it, and through the growing season.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple of shots I took late last winter; mostly to show the new stand, but they show the tree in last winters form.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the tree to a workshop in Denver when my teacher, Michael Hagedorn, was visiting. We decided to shorten the tree a bit. (Mach5 had the same suggestion when I first showed the tree here.) We also went through the tree, meticulously trimming out any branches growing in toward the tree, and cutting back many branches to encourage better taper. Any dead twigs were removed as well.

This is the only picture I could find from shortly after the workshop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a shot of the tree early this spring next to a nice little Deshojo Japanese maple, originally from Mach5.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is a before and after from one of my defoliation sessions this summer. I didn't go to hard on it as I wasn't sure how much I should do after the heavy spring work.

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And now... I will bombard you with pictures from this fall. -- If you can't tell, I really like taking pictures of this tree. And I happen to be really enjoying the color this fall.

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I hope you've enjoyed the progression so far.

Future plans are:

1) To continue rebuilding the apex where the tree was shortened.

2) This spring I will perform the exact same task as last spring in the workshop with Michael Hagedorn. - Thinning out unwanted twigs and cutting back for taper.

3) Re-pot, either spring of 2015 or 2016. I'm looking at other options for pots now.

4) When I repot, I will add a root-graft or two to correct the splitting root on the left side of the nebari.

------------------------------------------------

I'd love to hear any comments and feedback.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Dan.

The shortening was a good move.

I love the last close up photos of the trunk and red. Sexy. Great angle.

Thanks for posting this one.

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Gorgeous Dan! The trident is looking fantastic!! Great color and looking much, much better shortened. You should be able to rebuild that apex in no time.

Please post when leaves have fallen.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the shortened version as well. Great material, glad you have it, as it's clear you love it! Do you do any special protection for this guy in the winter?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Very beautiful shots! It inspires me. but never to get another heart break trident--my springs destroy them eventually. Anyway:

A trident in Wyoming
What will I see next
I bet its head is spinning
For sure it is perplexed
From the spring winds blowing
Drier than a bone
You know its soul is yearning
For a mossy home

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great bonsai and some beautiful photography, glad you're sharing updates, Dan!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the kind compliments everyone.

Gorgeous Dan! The trident is looking fantastic!! Great color and looking much, much better shortened. You should be able to rebuild that apex in no time.

Please post when leaves have fallen.

Thanks! Will do.

I like the shortened version as well. Great material, glad you have it, as it's clear you love it! Do you do any special protection for this guy in the winter?

Thanks Judy. I keep this tree in my Garage. Last year it was just placed in a corner with a make-shift covering of old blankets, and a small heater to heat the inside when it got really cold. It worked just fine, but I plan to build a small enclosed space in the garage that I can more easily regulate the temperature in. We may be building outside of town though, so I haven't been doing too many projects in this house.

Very beautiful shots! It inspires me. but never to get another heart break trident--my springs destroy them eventually. Anyway:

A trident in Wyoming
What will I see next
I bet its head is spinning
For sure it is perplexed
From the spring winds blowing
Drier than a bone
You know its soul is yearning
For a mossy home

Thanks!

Love it! lol. I work hard to protect my maples from wind, and try to keep the humidity up. It's working so far. :)

Derek91

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice trident. I like that little deshojo allot too. I'm trying to get one one day.I have a shin deshojo I'm debating on chopping.hard to do though the spring colors are amazing.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really beautiful tree. Nice spread on that base. You are a lucky dog with red leaves already.

Top Bottom