XL field grown jbp progression

808bonsaiSF

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
I just wanted to start a thread on a progression of a large jbp I picked up last week. This pine has been field grown and has an estimated age of about 15 yrs. Trunk currently sits at 9" at the base but that includes two large roots on each side which will probably be removed after the tree gets situated from being out of the ground. I just repotted last week into a large 22" clay training pot. This is a long term project which I do have the help of Boon with. I will post more pics as time progresses and share what I learn from transforming field grown material. Step 1 is to make sure the tree has a trunk and branching worth spending time on. Step 2 is to get it into good soil with a hbr on the weak side which will encourage root growth and bring feeder roots closer to the tree. Step 3, wait 1 full year to start doing anything to it such as decandeling or chopping unwanted growth, let the tree get healthy first. I'll post more when things happen.

20180113_095617.jpg 20180113_095921.jpg

Attachments

• 20180113_095921.jpg
    20180113_095921.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice bark!

Looks mad healthy!

Sorce

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Awsome looking trunk, I like the movement.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks ready for some wiring!
Looking forward to seeing the results! Nice tree

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice trunk, great bark... what is your favorite lan siththose roots?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That thing's a beast! Very nice find. I've been keeping my out for a large JBP but no luck yet.

I'd like to take a few of my seedlings from the 6 year contest and turn them into long term projects with something like this in mind.

808bonsaiSF

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
Looks ready for some wiring!
I just repotted last week so initial wiring will be done possibly next winter along with some branch selection if any, all depends on how the tree does this growing season in its new home. Maybe some selective decandleing this summer, but it all depends on health.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What gives with the towel?
Like the beverage, however!!:D
Let that soil warm up, or is this some bit of dormancy trickery?:confused:
Great trunk!:cool::cool::cool:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice!

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it. I would like to pick up a big pine in the next couple of years.

808bonsaiSF

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
What gives with the towel?
Ancient Japanese secret passed down to me from my great grandpa... LOL, it was damp from a bit of rain the previous day, had to dry it out.

how much sun does that get on a balcony?
facing south, winter i'll get good sun on that part of my balcony from sun up(8am) until about 2pm, summer is more like 7am to about 33opm so about 6-8.5 hours a day depending on season. I'l be moving by the end of the year to hopefully a house and I am definitely keeping sun exposure as a must have.

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it. I would like to pick up a big pine in the next couple of years.
If I tell you... Nah, the guy I got this from bought a mass quantity from a grower so the price was VERY reasonable. but if you were to just pick one up randomly, for a decent price it would probably be between $800-$1000, maybe more.. You just got to find the guys that grow them and grow them right.

Top Bottom