XL Tigerbark Ficus

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
awesome!
still so vigorous in mid winter...
are you going to pull those main branches down or keep them horizontal??

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a nice trunk. I am wondering whether the styling is all that fitting. Having every branch pulled down to me seems to be too coniferous and not enough Ficus for me?

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It is a nice trunk. I am wondering whether the styling is all that fitting. Having every branch pulled down to me seems to be too coniferous and not enough Ficus for me?
I live in South Florida. Conifers don't really exist for us here, and I have dozens of ficus. I'm happy that I am not mass producing the same style for all of my trees. Ficus don't get enough credit for their flexibility, but I get the perspective and understand if some people don't enjoy it.

To me I'm very happy to see something a bit different in every corner of the garden.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice work.
I dont think it's conifer-like at all.
In fact, it's more like a traditional banyan style or umbrella style that you see with these species.

Needs a nice oval pot.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice work.
I dont think it's conifer-like at all.
In fact, it's more like a traditional banyan style or umbrella style that you see with these species.

Needs a nice oval pot.
I mean personally I agree. Not too many people live near 50 foot Banyan ficus like I do, so that definitely has influence as well.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You mean like
1642010086081.png

Or like:
1642010113504.png

Everybody needs to style trees the way they like them. I was just referring to the organization of branches. Also large banyans have predominantly incresing branchlines, especially higher up in the canopy. 🤷‍♂️

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You mean like
View attachment 415723

Or like:
View attachment 415724

Everybody needs to style trees the way they like them. I was just referring to the organization of branches. Also large banyans have predominantly incresing branchlines, especially higher up in the canopy. 🤷‍♂️
If you notice, my branches go up at the collar as well 😉. All of them, then they come down.

Obviously the trees you posted are super, but not conducive to the styling of this massive trunk anyways. Different looks/styles for sure.

Top Bottom