XXL Trident

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a new project for next year in addition to the Zuisho white pine, this is a very large trident, the biggest tree that I've handled.
I am very excited about this tree, it has potential to be a really stunning natural tree. The trunk and base are already quite perfect, I'll have a lot of transition work to do up top. Just for scale the tub that it's in is 25" across. I'll be repotting into a large pot that should work for it this spring.

The trunks are a bit further apart than the pictures show, but I'll be adding more space where I can manage it.

The second and last picture will be the front for this tree.

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3886.jpg
    IMG_3886.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 455

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are a few more pictures, and the pot that I'll be using.

I have to pinch myself when I think about this one, and seeing it in person is arresting!

Attachments

• IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3891.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 275
  • $_103.jpg
    $_103.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 286

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree, Judy! I look forward to seeing you develop it!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw this one recently. I can't remember where though.

I look forward to watching it's development.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
that is massive!!! Awesome tree!
How did you tumble over something like that?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You guys shouldn't have that much trouble figuring out where this came from...
It's another tree from Don Blackmond. He's got the stuff.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like you'll have a blast with carving that monster. Good luck with it!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now that you say so... I had seen that tree a bunch of times, it is actually still listed XD
It is huge!!! My mind doesnt compute inches too well to dimension the tree... but the tiny can of coke does!!

IMG_1036.JPG

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That tree is huge! I dont think I would want to take anything that big on simply because of the handling issues.

Good luck with it and be sure to keep us updated.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fantastic tree, Judy.

Now that you're investing serious money into bonsai, it's time to invest in yourself.

I highly recommend that you consider taking some Intensives from Boon.

Your skills have grown immensely since you started posting here and on BSG. Taking some Intensives would take you to the next level.

They did for me.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fantastic tree, Judy.

Now that you're investing serious money into bonsai, it's time to invest in yourself.

I highly recommend that you consider taking some Intensives from Boon.

Your skills have grown immensely since you started posting here and on BSG. Taking some Intensives would take you to the next level.

They did for me.

Thanks Adair,
I fear that will have to wait, I just don't have the time in my work schedule to do the intensives.
I am in the process of scheduling Owen Reich to come this year again to work with me here. It's my hope that we can tackle the initial styling of the ZJWP, and take the first steps with this one too. Although I'm pretty sure I know what to do with both of them at this point, (and sure of the road this Trident will take) I think another set of more accomplished eyes, and hands will be such a step along the way. I try to learn as much as I can in the time I have for learning.
Maybe someday, I'll have that kind of time, and also time to go to exhibitions, which currently I'm also not able to do. (and perhaps to even enter some of my trees???) :rolleyes:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
One thing my bonsai collection could benefit from is a tree like this. The short, squat silhouette with the great base and multiple short sub trunks reminds me of those great "fairy trees" of Walter Pall. I'm pretty sure I'd want some uros carved into the trunk to enhance the image (and I know you like to carve;)). Looking forward to seeing this one develop...nice pick up.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Dave. This tree hits a sweet spot for me, I happen to love those big open crowned - stand alone - old trees more than any other. We have a number of places that have some old open grown beech and oak and maple around here. This is something I've wanted to do for some time now, I am pretty lucky that Don is such a great guy to work with.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have any history for the tree...where it came from before Don and how old? It sure looks like it spent a lot of time growing out in the ground.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sweet tree Judy! There's a similar massive trident at NEBonsai that I have been keeping my eye on. Hitoshi actually offered me a fair deal last year but I couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe I should.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy.

Go huge or go home?

You will never see home again!

I'm glad You are enlisting King Kusamono to work that pine with you.

Can't wait to see both.

Awesome.

I may get my first real tree from Don.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sweet tree Judy! There's a similar massive trident at NEBonsai that I have been keeping my eye on. Hitoshi actually offered me a fair deal last year but I couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe I should.

Would love to see a photo!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have any history for the tree...where it came from before Don and how old? It sure looks like it spent a lot of time growing out in the ground.

I will have to ask him about provenance, as I always like to know where my trees have come from.

Top Bottom