Yamaaki pot for $3

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just wanted to share an amazing find that I make a couple of weeks ago. I was at a local club's white elephant sale and noticed a nicely glazed pot among the couple of hundred cheap chinese pots that were scattered on a few tables. I was blown away when I flipped it upside down! It was a sighned Yamaaki pot. None of the pots had a price on them. The guy behind the table would just tell you a price when you held up a pot to him. "$3" was his reply and I tried not to jump or grin.

A week later I saw a very similar pot go for $127 on ebay.

Not bragging, I just want to share my lucky find with some that will appreciate it. When I told my my wife she just said "big deal your not going to sell it anyway".

Here are some pics of the pot.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Attachments

• yamaaki 3 glazed.jpg
    yamaaki 3 glazed.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 130
  • yamaaki 2 glazed.jpg
    yamaaki 2 glazed.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 136

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great find, congratulations! The chop is unmistakable, and the signature appears to be an older one...more recent signatures are different.

Attachments

• Yamaaki chop2.jpg
    Yamaaki chop2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 69

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Brian.

When I saw the glaze I was thinking Koyo but the pot design didn't look like a Koyo pot. I didn't find out it was Yamaaki until I got it home. And I almost didn't stop to look at the pots because there were so many to look through.

Rich

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Excellent pot! I'm also a collector of fine ceramics, and you definitely got lucky! I would plant a shohin pomegranate.

However, your wife does make a good point...if things get tough you can always sell it. Not that I ever would!!

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Tanlu,

A pomegranate would look nice! I just never come across any stock that I like. I'll keep my eye out though.

I've been lucky to stumble across a few pots that were valuable but being sold for almost nothing. That is how I got interested in bonsai pots in the first place. Now I just need the trees to match them! Most of my material is 5-10 years away.

Top Bottom