Yamabudoudanshi's 2020-25 Moonbeam 「月光」 Satsuki

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've continued following the plan and managed to build some secondary structure over the season so far.

Had to remove some wire that was starting to bite in today.

It's starting to take on a real profile now. Need to work a little more on the left lower branch to get a little more balance and I have a new bud coming up on the right that I hope to use to fill some space. Also need to figure out exactly where the apex will be.

Attachments

• 2022 7 6 (2).jpg
    2022 7 6 (2).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 55

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've continued following the plan and managed to build some secondary structure over the season so far.….

It's starting to take on a real profile now. Need to work a little more on the left lower branch to get a little more balance and I have a new bud coming up on the right that I hope to use to fill some space. Also need to figure out exactly where the apex will be.

Looks good.

We have several on a similar design flight plan, including my contest entry.

Here’s a method I use for styling on the run. Each time the apex is pruned to allow only one fork on the apex area, my practice is to let one run free, unpruned. The other gets gently wired down a bit and a very light tip trim to temporarily stop the growth.

This action will allow the apex to run free and create the start of a new branch.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This one is still trucking along.
Accidentally broke off a few branches a while back, so it's looking a bit two-dimentional, but still pretty happy with the progress.
A little bit of reverse taper near the apex, that I'm not sure I want to try and correct. I think I'm just going to continue to build a dense canopy on this one and hope it looks cute when it flowers.

Attachments

• 2022 10 9 (1).jpg
    2022 10 9 (1).jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2022 10 9 (2).jpg
    2022 10 9 (2).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022 10 9 (3).jpg
    2022 10 9 (3).jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, I decided I couldn't life with the reverse taper bulge and land of branches so I cut it back again hoping for buds. I didn't get them, but instead it was attacked by wave after wave of mealy bugs that I couldn't get under control. For the last few weeks I thought it was completely dead, but then it put out a bud at the base.
Unless something amazing happens, this will probably be the last update for this sad little satsuki.

Attachments

• 2023 9 21.jpg
    2023 9 21.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom