Yamadori and the moon phases

Reaction score
My advice would be to be in tune w/things of a more earthly matter. Namely, time of year and what the weather is doing. Focus on what's real and important:p

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:D Watch out for the werewolves.... oh, that would be a ..... NO here.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
If it is the correct time of season, a good time in the south is 2 days after a new moon. Don't know how it is where you are.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you serious?

If you mean only digging during new moon, first quarter, last quarter...no.

Makes no difference, the plant doesn't care. I guess if you dig during a full moon, its gravitational pull might make the tree a bit lighter :D

Of course, there are some collectors who douse trees with Superthrive and dance around it with a dowsing stick---which also does no good, but makes them feel better.

If timing your collection to co-incide with the horned moon makes you feel more confident in having the plant survive, by all means do it. Wearing a lucky hat helps me sometimes...:D

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
rock no it's the tidal pull of the moon that has brought all the sugars from the roots to the buds, so the tree has a better chance because the roots aren't holding all that energy, that would otherwise be lost to cut off roots.:D

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps your confusing fishing with collecting ...unless...your collecting in a off limits area where a full moon might be very advantageous ;)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is clear that the moon has immense influence on the life on this earth. So it must have strong influence on our trees.
A good friend of mine strictly watches the moon phases when collecting since twenty years. I don't do any of this, I just go when I feel I want to.
My good friend has MORE failures than I have. Way more. He collects hundreds of trees. So this is statistically significant.
Maybe he is just a poor gardener. Anyway, I think you can forget this.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
2 things about the moon and collecting

1) That is my cue that I better be on my way back to the truck and 2) Thank god for that backlight on the gps!

TpaBayFlyFisher

Seedling
Reaction score
This raises a simpler question, is it better to collect at night [cooler wetter etc]?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
This raises a simpler question, is it better to collect at night [cooler wetter etc]?

NO WAY!!! Nothing good will come from it. You will mess up the gathering of the roots, you will have to pack lights and you will break your leg or kill yourself getting back to the rig. Nothing like having 120 lbs on your back walking over the most uneven, rocky, slick and torturous landscape in the day time. I could'nt imagine doing it solely at night. I have done it on the way out before but it has been right at dark and I have been within 1/2 mile of the truck.

Cooler, wetter has very little to do with collecting. I spent 8 days at the end of July in the Rockies collecting in 100 degree heat and only water the foliage when we get to unloading the trunk the next morning before heading out again. 99% success rate on that trip. The only tree that didn't make it was because it came out with less than desireable roots.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with Jason on the first part of his statement...I have collected at night because that is the time I was given permission to do it...was a logistical nightmare.

As for the second part...maybe not so much. While a tree may survive being collected in a hotter and a more arid environment. The recovery time is very, very different. Most, if not all, propagation instruction states that these procedures should be done early morning / late evening to reduce stress on the material. Yes propagation and collecting are different but do loosely fall into the same genre.

Now saying all this.....keep in mind that collecting Bristlecone, Ponderosa, and RMJ that thrive in a warm and arid environment is a lot different than collecting Hornbeam, Pitch pine, Maple and Yew that are all generally low altitude species.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with Jason on the first part of his statement...I have collected at night because that is the time I was given permission to do it...was a logistical nightmare.

As for the second part...maybe not so much. While a tree may survive being collected in a hotter and a more arid environment. The recovery time is very, very different. Most, if not all, propagation instruction states that these procedures should be done early morning / late evening to reduce stress on the material. Yes propagation and collecting are different but do loosely fall into the same genre.

Now saying all this.....keep in mind that collecting Bristlecone, Ponderosa, and RMJ that thrive in a warm and arid environment is a lot different than collecting Hornbeam, Pitch pine, Maple and Yew that are all generally low altitude species.

I agree 100%, and I should have said the species and climate play hugely into when, where and how you should collect. Maples I collect in early spring (as the snow allows us to reach them) and in late fall just before snow fall.

Thanks for pointing that out for me Tom!!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree 100%, and I should have said the species and climate play hugely into when, where and how you should collect. Maples I collect in early spring (as the snow allows us to reach them) and in late fall just before snow fall.

Thanks for pointing that out for me Tom!!

Hey Jason,

When are we going to see all the nice trees you've been collecting? :)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Haven't been out this year yet. The snow isn't gone in the cascades and I just started a new job (YEAH!!!) so I won't head out for a long trip till end of summer. Randy at Oregon Bonsai just got back from his first trip to RMJ country this past week. Nice haul....:D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haven't been out this year yet. The snow isn't gone in the cascades and I just started a new job (YEAH!!!) so I won't head out for a long trip till end of summer. Randy at Oregon Bonsai just got back from his first trip to RMJ country this past week. Nice haul....:D

Congratulations on the new job! That's great news, especially in this economy. :D

Are you guys going to put trees up on the website for sale again?

Top Bottom