Yamadori Beech

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By all trees, I assume you mean all Beech. Even then, the Japanese and European species are generally more resilient than American. They backbud more easily and can be forced to produce more than one flush of growth per year. Not so with Fagus Grandifolia...

Aggressive collection techniques work on alot of deciduous eastern US trees, Carolina horbeam can be dug in June, trunk chopped and root pruned 99 % and survive, same for Bald cypress. Cedar elm can be dug, trunk chopped root pruned severely, left out and shipped 1,000 miles via air freight and turn out ot be great bonsai (I've done all of this, sometimes repeatedly). Collection techniques vary tremendously species to species and location to location.

apisto

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By all trees, I assume you mean all Beech. Even then, the Japanese and European species are generally more resilient than American. They backbud more easily and can be forced to produce more than one flush of growth per year. Not so with Fagus Grandifolia...

Aggressive collection techniques work on alot of deciduous eastern US trees, Carolina horbeam can be dug in June, trunk chopped and root pruned 99 % and survive, same for Bald cypress. Cedar elm can be dug, trunk chopped root pruned severely, left out and shipped 1,000 miles via air freight and turn out ot be great bonsai (I've done all of this, sometimes repeatedly). Collection techniques vary tremendously species to species and location to location.

Thats true some trees will bounce back from whatever you throw at them

In my experience which is varied a 2 year approach gives far better results.
My climate is very different to yours and am glad i have the Euro beech here from the sound of it :)

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear this it did have potential.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear of the loss.

For what it's worth, the trunk was more of a novelty than workable bonsai material...American beech are difficult enough without having to contend with imposing a horticulturally and artistically workable design on such a challenging trunk...

wade

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Carolina horbeam can be dug in June, trunk chopped and root pruned 99 % and survive

From what I have found online, this is not the case for Carolina as it is for the European hornbeam. So you have had success with little prep?

I just pulled up a tree I started preparing last winter and am very concerned about its survival due to what I've been reading online. Even the local garden center doesn't like planting these trees from pots as many die.

The specimen I just acquired is ~2.5" at the base with the characteristic "ripple" or muscle look to it. Gorgeous. Guess we'll see come spring.

Top Bottom