Yamadori Cedar Elm Survival Tips Needed

J_Cham13

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Y’all,

I collected some pretty cool cedar elms, and am really hoping they pull through. I’ve got them all in either wood boxes or plastic training pots.

They were kept trimmed by cows, so a lot of inverse taper at the tips. Curious how much pruning I should do in the first year? Unfortunately they didn’t have great root balls. Mainly deep tap roots. I know CE’s have a reputation for being tough to kill, but any tips or recommendations y’all have would be appreciated.

AEDFA977-59A5-4C94-8EBF-A61E08771D86.jpeg08FBD92C-1F9A-40C4-A495-F5C2A3A0F3AB.jpeg0E630F95-AAE2-472C-BCC4-116E4EEF821C.jpegF8365A6D-DCE1-4FBA-8557-AA3039D70C6D.jpegC85A65C4-95D1-4DDD-9D47-0FE9D8F49AF8.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice, these actually look like yamadori.
I would of used sphagnum moss in the mix to help regenerate new roots, as you say there was hardly any. or as top dress to maintain humidity.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Random question, but have you considered a raft for the second to last one? It seems like it’d be very well suited to the style

J_Cham13

Seedling
Reaction score
Random question, but have you considered a raft for the second to last one? It seems like it’d be very well suited to the style
Yes! That’s actually the goal with this one. I tried to position it in the training pot where I will be able to begin shaping it for a raft style.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey Y’all,

I collected some pretty cool cedar elms, and am really hoping they pull through. I’ve got them all in either wood boxes or plastic training pots.

They were kept trimmed by cows, so a lot of inverse taper at the tips. Curious how much pruning I should do in the first year? Unfortunately they didn’t have great root balls. Mainly deep tap roots. I know CE’s have a reputation for being tough to kill, but any tips or recommendations y’all have would be appreciated.

View attachment 474184View attachment 474185View attachment 474186
Hey Y’all,

View attachment 474184View attachment 474185View attachment 474186View attachment 474187View attachment 474188

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I
Hey Y’all,

View attachment 474184View attachment 474185View attachment 474186View attachment 474187View attachment 474188
I have that same shovel. It is by far the best I've ever had. Collecting is much easier with it in my collection

Top Bottom