Yamadori Cedar (Thuja Occidentalis) Project in a Slanting style

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I collect a good number of yamadori from the shores of Lake Huron where I am saving them from the waves on sandy beaches or eroding clay cliffs. Survival rates are fairly poor as many of the trees are partially or even completely bare rooted by nature and then exposed to the elements. My limited skills and toolkit only compound matters.

This Shohin is a prime example. I collected it last summer with the majority of the rootball exposed (sometimes under waves, other times baking in the summer sun.) What roots were still covered were still in native clay. I salvaged some recycling to create a training pot and rooted it in the local sand. This is laughable to community no doubt, but we use what we have on hand. The cedars here are abundant and seem to do well in the sand; I'm not sure if I'm crazy but I also seem to have better luck with survival using sand with these trees.

This spring I decided to repot it (just a random pot, I know its not the sexiest bit of ceramic.) I envision this as a Shohin in the Slanting (shakan) style. The trunk you will note is planted upright and the roughly 30 degree angle is the natural direction it takes. As such, nature made this Cedar into a shakan more than I did.

In spite of its flaws, the bark has a nice texture to it and it feels likely an older tree than it might appear at first glance. There are several (at least 5) dead branches that have potential for jin. I see the slanting right as "front." From this orientation, I feel the absurdly long dead branch offers some balance (if trimmed) and the more delicate opposing dead branch might be a keeper too while the upper most and bottom two can likely go.

Well that's as far as my amateur assessment takes things; curious to hear any input.20220519_162938.jpg

Last edited:

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Truthfully, very little as of yet. I admit I'm sparse with fertilizing my recoving trees until they pass the gauntlet test of surviving and/or turn into a project of sorts. I've started giving liquid 10-15-10

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collect a good number of yamadori from the shores of Lake Huron where I am saving them from the waves on sandy beaches or eroding clay cliffs. Survival rates are fairly poor as many of the trees are partially or even completely bare rooted by nature and then exposed to the elements. My limited skills and toolkit only compound matters.

This Shohin is a prime example. I collected it last summer with the majority of the rootball exposed (sometimes under waves, other times baking in the summer sun.) What roots were still covered were still in native clay. I salvaged some recycling to create a training pot and rooted it in the local sand. This is laughable to community no doubt, but we use what we have on hand. The cedars here are abundant and seem to do well in the sand; I'm not sure if I'm crazy but I also seem to have better luck with survival using sand with these trees.

This spring I decided to repot it (just a random pot, I know its not the sexiest bit of ceramic.) I envision this as a Shohin in the Slanting (shakan) style. The trunk you will note is planted upright and the roughly 30 degree angle is the natural direction it takes. As such, nature made this Cedar into a shakan more than I did.

In spite of its flaws, the bark has a nice texture to it and it feels likely an older tree than it might appear at first glance. There are several (at least 5) dead branches that have potential for jin. I see the slanting right as "front." From this orientation, I feel the absurdly long dead branch offers some balance (if trimmed) and the more delicate opposing dead branch might be a keeper too while the upper most and bottom two can likely go.

Well that's as far as my amateur assessment takes things; curious to hear any input.View attachment 437913
it has nice aged bark for such a small tree making it kind of rare find . I like it very much . If the plan is to leave it in a small pot and develop it with what you have . I would wire it pull the branches down . While there young and small pinch the top to slow it’s apical dominance let the branches grow and then cut them back mid summer . Ever mindful of leaving back buds and shoots . Other option is big pot or ground to fatten it . Thin ones are easy to find but not with that aged bark . I like what your doing it’s got presence If you had several like that a forest would be very nice

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Did it make it? Do you have any pictures of Thuja in the wild? I have been trying to get inspiration from wild thuja for one that I have but so far have been unsuccessful in finding anything outside of the standard cone shaped tree.

Top Bottom