Yamadori Chinese Elm newbie help

diegazo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9 a
Hi everyone, this is my first attempt at bonsai and I started with a Yamadori 3 months ago and I already got some life into this Chinese elm... So far so good, I think the tree is out of the woods. I live in Los Angeles and the tree is outdoors. It rarely goes below 50 F in the winter so I'm thinking it would stay outside this winter or should I bring it indoors? I do have a small nursery with lights and fans and at home, the temps run about 73 F during the winter.
I've attached some pics of the current state of the Elm tree. So my questions are the following:

1. Should i leave the tree do it's thing and develop a strong set of roots over the winter outside?
2. Right now it's not much of a bonsai but merely a potensai surviving. Any ideas as to when to cut those ugly branches to begin training? Once I cut the big ones, can I use wood glue to cover the wounds? Any suggestions on styling?

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 55

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah just leave it now.

It may suffer in full long sun.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
i
Hi everyone, this is my first attempt at bonsai and I started with a Yamadori 3 months ago and I already got some life into this Chinese elm... So far so good, I think the tree is out of the woods. I live in Los Angeles and the tree is outdoors. It rarely goes below 50 F in the winter so I'm thinking it would stay outside this winter or should I bring it indoors? I do have a small nursery with lights and fans and at home, the temps run about 73 F during the winter.
I've attached some pics of the current state of the Elm tree. So my questions are the following:

1. Should i leave the tree do it's thing and develop a strong set of roots over the winter outside?
2. Right now it's not much of a bonsai but merely a potensai surviving. Any ideas as to when to cut those ugly branches to begin training? Once I cut the big ones, can I use wood glue to cover the wounds? Any suggestions on styling?

i am new to bonsai as well but i live in central cali and temps go down to 26 degrees on a cold night and i was told to leave my elm outside so you should be good

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chinese elms are hardy as far north as Chicago, no need to protect from cold anywhere in California. Do follow the advise of nearby growers regarding how much heat and sun they can take. Here I grow mine in full sun, but we usually have less than 10 days a year over 90F (over 32 C). California is a big state and its climate is alien to me.

Top Bottom