Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think it is easy to make a virt. Getting the tree to grow branches in all the right spots may be a bit harder.

Chinese elms transplant easily so I'm confident this one will survive but they do tend to produce the majority of new shoots right round the exposed cambium of the chops.
Let's wait and see what branches pop and grow before planning a style.

Reaction score
I think it is easy to make a virt. Getting the tree to grow branches in all the right spots may be a bit harder.

Chinese elms transplant easily so I'm confident this one will survive but they do tend to produce the majority of new shoots right round the exposed cambium of the chops.
Let's wait and see what branches pop and grow before planning a style.
What is a virt?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Me? ….. I would tend to respond to the actual growth the tree decides…which will be a more relaxed somewhat wild form. I don’t think you’ll see branches develop where your virtual drawing positions them. But…I suppose it’s always possible. I'd aim to be not like a pine style tree.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great base to work with. You should get a good bud out. watch ti this spring and by mid summer you should have a much better idea what you will have to work with. I probably would not cut it back any at all this year.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Prob just leave them alone until they have anything to work with. You’re not going to be able to decide on much but dreams at this stage. Great trunks though.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would not reduce the trunk any further until I saw where buds were popping. I would seal the edges of all the wounds to prevent the margins from drying out.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Top Bottom