Yamadori/Collection tools

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've got a trip planned to see a friend with a lot of acreage first weekend in march. I've watched a bunch of Yamadori collection videos, and it seems like there's no "tried and true" set of tools needed, other than some combination of, shovel, saw, pot, and rope. HHowever, I was just wondering on what experienced collectors find to be their "go to" set of tools whenever collecting when there's a distance to be traversed.

Additionally, with shovels, is there a particular head shape that is preferred? in some videos I see the narrow bladed ones more often. Currently all i have is your standard garden shovel, which is pretty clunky, but we will have a 4 wheeler to get around on.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sawzall, hand pruners, small digging tool, roll of cling wrap for the rootball, pack frame to carry them out if they are any size.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bit dependent on the soil that you are digging. Rocky terrain might require a pick or digging steelbar. The soft mush here, a swiss army knife is nearly enough :)

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would start with sawzall plus TWO extra batteries (three if you can) ;)
They always die in the middle of the largest root :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a small all steel shovel is required.
I break wood handles in dirt.

Sorce

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I bring those tools (the blanket can be replaced by a large towel, or newspapers etc) + a carrying frame if you have long way to go. Or a foldable stretcher if you have a friend with you. (+ ice ax + water & Tick spray on your clothes before to go).
The Felco600 saw is a very good saw. It has been compared with 10 others saws, and it was voted the most efficient)
outils.JPG

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tool selection is very much dependent on the terrain - farmland soil vs a rocky ridge. I always have a cordless recipricating saw for both, with extra batteries as mentioned. Also pruners, hand saw, small one-hand pick or trenching tool. If rocky then some kind of pry bar. If deep soil then a shovel. Something to wrap the root ball with. Large plastic bags to cover the whole tree. Depending on how far away from your vehicle you intend to get, you might want a framed outfitter backpack, compass and map. Water for you and the trees.

Top Bottom