Yamadori Collectors - New England

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does anyone know of yamadori collectors in the New England area? I'm particularly interested in acquiring a collected larch. I'd also love to learn any tricks of the trade, etc. even in a guided setting.

Thanks as always,
Zak

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a larch at MABS this year from a guy that collects them in Maine but I don't know his name...sorry.

However I read another thread here that the Maine Dept of Agriculture prohibits transport of Larch out of Maine for 2 years after collecting to be sure they are free of some species of adelgid or something.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I researched it a bit and found its a quarantine in certain areas of Maine to prevent spread of European larch canker

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think there’s a FB page for black dodge bonsai, I think he’s known for larch - Kris Springer is his name iirc

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought a larch at MABS this year from a guy that collects them in Maine but I don't know his name...sorry.
I think there’s a FB page for black dodge bonsai, I think he’s known for larch - Kris Springer is his name iirc
Thank you both, I was able to find his email contact via the MABS vendor site. I'll reach out and see what I can find.

Have a wonderful Sunday
Zak

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just figured I’d report back in case anyones interested.

I found Kris’ email on the MABS vendor site, hit him up, and drove out to his place yesterday. I can’t speak highly enough of the warm welcome and his willingness to show me his garden/answer my (at times) moronic questions. The opportunity to see the Nick Lenz pottery and trees was worth the drive by itself. That along with Kris’ trees makes for an impressive collection to say the least.

I picked up two larch he collected, attached. I’m going to let the single trunk grow for a season. I’d like to repot the pair this coming spring - just need to find an appropriate container.

All in all it was a great experience. It was great to meet him in person and I’ll definitely contact him again for both advice and to purchase more trees

Now to find a copy of Bonsai from the Wild that isn’t $400.00…

BE0BF21C-1A22-43FA-A55A-A415D04D5A8C.jpeg 48862C06-EDC0-4865-B8AD-19EBA92667C2.jpeg

NateMcFly3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone know of yamadori collectors in the New England area? I'm particularly interested in acquiring a collected larch. I'd also love to learn any tricks of the trade, etc. even in a guided setting.

Thanks as always,
Zak
I was at Bonsai West last week and they had a bunch of good looking collected larch

Corwyn13

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sorry probably dumb Q but what's MABS I thought MA bonsai society but google drew blank? Semi new nad would love to meet some locals

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sorry probably dumb Q but what's MABS I thought MA bonsai society but google drew blank? Semi new nad would love to meet some locals

Mid Atlantic Bonsai Society
They have a good sized show every spring somewhere between Pennsylvania and Connecticut

7oM

Seedling
Reaction score
Kind of an old thread, but I’m in New Hampshire and very interested in Yamadori as well for larch (among other things). If there’s anyone that does it here in New Hampshire that is willing to talk briefly about it or let me tag along I’d love to chat!

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d love to go out at some point to hunt for larch and EWC, haven’t cracked that nut yet.

If you’re looking to purchase Kris Springer is your guy. Awesome dude and beautiful trees.

7oM

Seedling
Reaction score
I’d love to go out at some point to hunt for larch and EWC, haven’t cracked that nut yet.

If you’re looking to purchase Kris Springer is your guy. Awesome dude and beautiful trees.
I was looking more at collecting myself, but I will reach out to Kris to see! Thank you

Top Bottom