Yamadori Cotoneaster.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi

I dug this Cotoneaster from a local school that was being demolished, The playing fields were overgrown with all kinds of shrubs, I brought two Cotoneaster, Two Lonicera and another ytree that has completely slipped my mind!

This was the biggest Cotoneaster and for a couple of pounds the wrecking crew put the bucket of their excavator under and lifted them for us!!

It needed some carving, It also had a nassive root/submerged branch that I had to do something with!
bGt8GTj.jpg

The box is 30" by 16" but I removed the root then started carving whiolst it was in the box (Left it for two years before I even touched it!)

Made a start..
9kEARpj.jpg

Back in 2017 It went in to a 16" mica drum pot and all was well, I know lots of folk dislike lime sulfur on deciduous trees but I prefer the clean look to leaving it to grey!
AYoMs6s.jpg

This year for some reason, The right side started dying back, It's now devoid of any greenery so it will have to be carved back even more now!

John 👍

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great !

There is still some movement, some balance to find, but that"s a great tree.

I would...

No, I won't say, that's your tree ;)

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all

Unfortunately (Or fortunately!!) The foliage started dying back on the right trunk so I had to make a massive shari of it!!

I've pulled a small new branch around at the top left to fill the gap and the lefttrunk needs more carving but I wore my cutting tool completely out to the point where it would only char the wood black!!

I need to take another pic as also brought another new branch around from the back (The live vein is at the rear!) under the lowest right hand branch too, It's about 30" long now and thickening nicely!!

Cotoneaster yama carved.JPG

I prefer it as it is now to be honest although I don't think I would have chopped the right trunk had it still been alive and healthy!!

John 👍 :)

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
This is the tree from the rear, I opened the gate on a windy day and the space between the house and garage became a wind tunnel!, It blew the 4"x2" timbers over straight on to the tree and split the crown!, I was going to wire the crown across too, Can't now as i've put the three parts of the split together with a piece of wire and covered it in cut paste!, If I tried pulling it to where I wanted it, It would most likely break off so i'll leave it for a couple of years before straining it!!
OYrHJxv.jpg
LpHk1va.jpg

By the way, The timber was to make a Bonsai bench!!, The rest is at the bottom of the garden!, I'll have to get on with it someday as many of my trees are on the floor where the slugs can get at them!

John ☺ :)

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very nice modification. Single trunk looks good with that wide base you got there.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good roots there.
If it were mine, I would let the branches extend for a season or two. It feels like you keep them short and compace all the time?

And.. the wood has helped you make some hard decisions. Do you need more help? Else, secure that wood or place the tree in another spot?

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Good roots there.
If it were mine, I would let the branches extend for a season or two. It feels like you keep them short and compace all the time?

And.. the wood has helped you make some hard decisions. Do you need more help? Else, secure that wood or place the tree in another spot?
Hi

I didn't realise there had been replies!!, The timber was moved to the bottom of the back garden (yard?), I've started growing a branch at the top to the left as there was a large gap and luckily a shoot emerged in the exact position I needed it!!

In the pic from the rear, A new branch at the bottom on the left can be seen also, I was going to cut it off but it extended quite quickly so I wired it to the right as a new bottom branch, It's at the right from the front, I think this is the most recent pic I have but the tree has filled out more now.
9us2b3h.jpg

And in flower last year..
7IRVfwO.jpg

Unfortunately all of the front of the tree is dead!, there's only a living part up the rear of the tree, I'll have to remove the bark from the upper part of the front as it's dead too!!

Cheers, John

Top Bottom