Yamadori European Beech

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just to make comparison easier - side by side.

View attachment 91133 View attachment 91134

I still can't decide which I prefer....
Hi Klosi, im going to stick with the first option, but just reduce apex a little and tidy up the cluster of branches an inch or so down, it will be an overall improvement after ive carved the V into the main trunk as taper will increase.

Thanks

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
If you plant it under that angle, wont you potentially loose most of the nebari? Or whenyou plant it higher get something like exposed roots, which i dont think would be nice for this tree. I think i wouldnt go that extreme with the angle.

I think you could actually bent that horizontal branch upwards quite a lot over several years, then the top maybe indeed cut back like in your virtual and kinda develop it into a broom.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some more work done on this one, im quite liking the tree flat, now that ive got some depth into the tree with back branches. but i think my chosen front shows more movement. ive rotated the tree so the first left trunk veers off into the background giving more depth and movement.

Chosen front
IMG_8802.jpg

Flat
IMG_8788.jpg

IMG_8789.jpg

IMG_8790.jpg

IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8793.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8798.jpg

Back
IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8801.jpg

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice work. It seems that you have your mind set to what this tree will become, which is a very good thing. I also like it flat. Can't wait to see this one in autumn 2016.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think this is a nice start, I feel like the tree is trying to run away from me though. You'll have to see if you can get some forward branching to counteract that feeling.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think this is a nice start, I feel like the tree is trying to run away from me though. You'll have to see if you can get some forward branching to counteract that feeling.

Yeah, it's running to my benches:p, but it does seem like they are all flowing away. Though I do love what you've done. Looks more aged and once heald and aged, it'll look fantastic.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Judy, thanks for your critique, i know what you mean. one of the reasons for that is the main apex that slightly leans back and left, im contemplating removing it back to the more forward facing branch further down it, top of the V. the right apex can come forward too and then some of the back branches positioned into the space vacated by the chunky apex. when potted the tree will also be made to lean towards the viewer. whats also happening in the flat pic, is every other branch wants to rise up and out, but the heavy branch at the top is moving left and away.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
heavy branch at the top is moving left and away
Yes this is much of the problem I agree. I also think it's a bit too heavy for too far, with no taper, not helping... Maybe think about cutting this one back to one of the lower branches instead of letting it go quite so long.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
This may sound a bit weird, but if you get a few shoots from the base of the tree, maybe let them grow a bit and prune them off to make hollows. I feel that if the roots had a few scars or hollows, the top and bottom of the tree would look more harmonious.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This may sound a bit weird, but if you get a few shoots from the base of the tree, maybe let them grow a bit and prune them off to make hollows. I feel that if the roots had a few scars or hollows, the top and bottom of the tree would look more harmonious.

That doesnt sound weird mate, when i re pot i will have to reduce or cut back one or two of the roots, the resulting stubs will be carved.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Its looking a lot better after removing the heavy branch and turning the resulting scar into a hollow, which is quite normal on deciduous trees in nature, bear in mind this is styled to look like a tree and not a bonsai.
IMG_8823.jpg

There is still potential for a slanting style, like my original plan
IMG_8821.jpg

These hollows can be refined in time
IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8841.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spring Beech

This one was re potted over a couple weeks ago. I had to sort the roots out and removed quite a few bits of heavy root, while making sure to cut back to smaller roots further back....

I had wanted to have the tree looking more upright like this
2016-04-06_06-03-03 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

But after a look at the roots, i decided the tree along with the roots, would be better suited to a slanting style
2016-04-26_03-35-34 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2016-04-26_03-35-24 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Here you can see the strong right sided anchor root holding the tree in place, giving the tree visual stability, crucial to slanting/windswept. there were also some cuts made in the nebari/base and these were packed in with Spagnum moss, maybe new roots will form where i want them...
2016-04-26_03-36-15 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2016-04-26_03-36-35 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2016-05-01_06-21-02 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

The tree today, some of the top moss was removed and the pot topped up with soil, i was able to plant the tree deeper after removing some heavy roots, where the soil is mounded around the base is where ive left spagnam moss to induce new roots.
Although im very content with the base as it is, the tree has a sinuous movement which transmits right through the base IMO.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Many trees that get planted as slant style don't have the chops to carry it off. The stabilizing root makes this one believable. Good choice.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Tieball Hi, im still learning about Beech, this will be my first growing season with them. ive read that at least one bud should be left on Beech branches when hard pruning, i believe it to be the larger buds, i wouldnt trust pruning back to tiny dormant buds, that could possibly fail. I left as many of the cigar shaped buds as possible as i knew i was going to remove quite a lot of root. there is a good article on bonsai4me re Beech pruning techniques, check it out if you havnt already. im not using any of the techniques on mine this year though....ill just be watering and feeding abundantly and hard pruning in july, ill do updates as i go along...

ps if you click on this image and zoom in on the left apex, at the base were plenty of those little dormant buds that are all opening up all round the branch, i think thats because it was a strong apical branch that was cut back hard when i first styled the tree. there are some more small dormant buds in other parts of the tree that look like they might open eventually, will see how it goes
IMG_0291 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oop Tieball seems to have deleted his post oh well!

Anyway, i also thought this tree has great characteristics for a windswept design
2016-04-26_03-36-15 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Although im settled on the current image now

Will update as i go

Top Bottom