Yamadori from hurricane Michael

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yamadori from my parents' land after hurricane Michael. A 3 acre garden is devastated with giant oaks and pecans up rooted. Several huge persimmons also uprooted and vanished. I found an uprooted 10 ft tall lime tree and collected it. I hope it will live.20181102_142835.jpg

Attachments

• 20181102_141632.jpg
    20181102_141632.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 25

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The leaves all dropped after transport to Louisiana. I went ahead and cut off a part of the trunk that looks like reverse taper due to a twist. Now let hope it comes back and survive this winter.
20181104_085620.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The Ochna is the one I'm rooting for.

Too bad you were not able to get any of the persimmons. They make excellent bonsai.
The ochna recovered well and sent out a whole bunch of shoots. The leaves are long and paler because of the winter low light condition. Come spring I will have to be careful in reintroducing it back to full sun light.
20181229_154402.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The ochna serrulata is thriving. I bought a small ochna intergerrima for scions to graft to it. Unfortunately the dang wabbit ate my intergerrima so this year it will be just the serrulata. The citrus died this past winter.
20190316_104501.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ochna integerrima - is a tree I am surprised that is not more popular as bonsai in the southern half of the USA. The double yellow flowers on a leafless tree in January-February is really something to see. Mine I purchased from Mai Vang nursery in Sarasota Florida is ready to start its third growing season with me. I started small, it was only $35, in a 2 gallon nursery container. This spring it will get repotted.

When I finally get a few branches, it is ''somewhat feeble'' right now, I'd be happy to donate scion wood to you.

Vdang

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ochna integerrima - is a tree I am surprised that is not more popular as bonsai in the southern half of the USA. The double yellow flowers on a leafless tree in January-February is really something to see. Mine I purchased from Mai Vang nursery in Sarasota Florida is ready to start its third growing season with me. I started small, it was only $35, in a 2 gallon nursery container. This spring it will get repotted.

When I finally get a few branches, it is ''somewhat feeble'' right now, I'd be happy to donate scion wood to you.
Hey Leo Im wondering on how you are growing your Ochna integerrima. Ive been deciding to get one for the longest time. Hows the lighting and the watering during the colder months?

Top Bottom