Yamadori hunt 2015

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Many more pictures in my blog and will update with the tree's tomorrow once the suns out but enjoy. I got an eastern hemlock and 3 scrub pines.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For curiosity sake, and being somewhat local to you, who did you contact for permission to collect? Private or Public. Would love to start actively collecting in our neck of the woods.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question too. I hate to be a nag, but I will anyway. If you're digging on public land without a permit AND digging eastern hemlock you're committing some mortal sins that can reflect back on those who follow the collection rules. Eastern hemlock is threatened as a species in the Blue Ridge and may be protected by Federal laws, not clear on that, though.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Wow....please don't attack these folks that want to express to you their love for the environment. Got many permit police on this site.... unbelievable! I enjoyed the pics, just be careful on those steep slopes.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you stupid? Love for the environment doesn't mean digging up possibly protected species and knowing what laws to follow to avoid damaging the environment in public lands. Eastern Hemlock is THREATENED SPECIES in the Appalachians and is protected by some state laws (N.Carolina), if not by Federal Statute.

What's unbelievable is that you don't really get what impact illegal collection has ON THE REST OF US, including those who dig on private land, or on public land with a permit. Legal collection on public lands is already difficult enough, without a poaching problem adding to it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To clarify, tsuga Canadensis is considered threatened by biologists who are working to preserve the genetic integrity of the species after it has suffered extensive die off from introduced insect attack (wooly adelgid). It is considered a relatively "safe" species in Va., but there is still considerable environmental pressure on the species and it is in severe decline.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/42431/0
That is true through much of its range in the east. Collecting them is not a great thing to do even WITH a permit--which is very unlikely to be granted.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I agree but beyond all of that...do they really make good bonsai? ...show me some pics because I've not seen many, if any, quality Eastern Hemlock bonsai over the years...

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree but beyond all of that...do they really make good bonsai? ...show me some pics because I've not seen many, if any, quality Eastern Hemlock bonsai over the years...
On his blog he mentioned doing a separate update on these. 3 scrub pine and 1 eastern hemlock.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
W.H.O. says trees are more important that people. Mortal sin for trees, what a joke. We have killings and genocide all over the world, but lets concentrate on a guy who is only collecting a few for himself. Who's more stupid...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't say trees are more important than people. I said COLLECT WITH A PERMIT, ACCORDING TO THE RULES. AVOID TAKING SPECIES THAT ARE THREATENED. Pretty much common sense, something that seems to elude you. The "collect only a few for themselves" crap is a weak, dimwitted argument. If everyone helps themselves to stuff, just for personal use, then that stuff will soon be gone. ESPECIALLY IN AREAS WHERE ITS ALREADY LIMITED. The areas in the Blue Ridge where this species grows has a shortage of viable trees to support the species there. Removing trees doesn't make that pool any larger.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I agree. But hey he might bring something new to the table and for that I am interested :cool:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Must add -

I must also point out that he is and should be treated as an fellow human being AND not looked down upon as if he is somewhat "less intelligent" by explaining to him as if he were a child that there are rules... I am pretty certain he does not need to be attacked for his collection. Just my pennies - no need to argue with me as you(not John) are trying to do with Giga. C'mon Nutters :confused: Lets try polite and if you feel a need to jump down a strangers poop shoot do it in PM.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh good lord. Did I suggest we treat him like an animal or that he be considered less than human? My statement to Giga was pretty tame, I thought. My reaction to the idiot troll post concerning "permit police" was not.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Where is this?

Warm springs area

For curiosity sake, and being somewhat local to you, who did you contact for permission to collect? Private or Public. Would love to start actively collecting in our neck of the woods.

It's at my parents cabin and yes I got permission

My question too. I hate to be a nag, but I will anyway. If you're digging on public land without a permit AND digging eastern hemlock you're committing some mortal sins that can reflect back on those who follow the collection rules. Eastern hemlock is threatened as a species in the Blue Ridge and may be protected by Federal laws, not clear on that, though.

it's not threated there as there the predominated species up there, plus it was on my parents land. my folks no everyone there, had a sheriff even offer to help. Please try and stay on topic

Wow....please don't attack these folks that want to express to you their love for the environment. Got many permit police on this site.... unbelievable! I enjoyed the pics, just be careful on those steep slopes.

Yeah.....fell once but my face stopped the fall and it wasn't far. I was very carful and slow there-after.

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Yes they do as I have a small one that was a test bed and I've seen a few back in the day when I lived in PA

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fair enough, Giga. I AM staying on topic. Since I have been labeled the permit police and a gross violator of human rights for suggesting that people actually understand what they're doing, I'll go ahead and say that researching species you intend to collect, knowing what you're digging is an essential part of collecting. The attitude that cropped up here that permits are silly and unnecessary leads to bad outcomes for all bonsaiists. Ignoring the issue doesn't help.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Fair enough, Giga. I AM staying on topic. Since I have been labeled the permit police and a gross violator of human rights for suggesting that people actually understand what they're doing, I'll go ahead and say that researching species you intend to collect, knowing what you're digging is an essential part of collecting. The attitude that cropped up here that permits are silly and unnecessary leads to bad outcomes for all bonsaiists. Ignoring the issue doesn't help.

no ones skirting the issue, and research was done, just pm me if you have so many issues with me or with people in the thread. Makes not want to post even though I went through the right channel, still you to rant on MY post

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Calling people stupid and idiots and flying off the handle before you had any reason to suspect that the OP was collecting illegally or irresponsibly was inappropriate. And the label of "gross violator of human rights" and the "attitude that cropped up here that permits are silly and unnecessary" are figments of your imagination. This sort of bickering is going to lead to other people not wanting to even share their collecting experiences with the group, and that diminishes the value of this forum.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They're great trees for bonsai. I have a number of them collected from my lot.

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom