Yamadori hunt with us

StoicGardens

Seedling
Reaction score
A friend and I have an excellent source on a location to find some timberline trees on Mount Hood. It will be a 5 day outing and we have some of the camping supplies GPS and digging tools. I have a nursery area to help store any finds and we are willing to make trips back continuing years all the same. You will need the proper paperwork as well. I can help with that as well. I can help you learn to collect a few species of trees the window is short and late this year but still doable since timberline is just now warming up enough to grow trees. This window is usually earlier and last about 4 months. This year they get 2 months ,3 if lucky. Hemlock Alpine Fir and lodge pole pine are in this area for sure. Not to mention the alpine flowers will start their short lived flowering. Could be fun and educational. All you will need is a tent and some food come join us if you wish

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Sounds fun! When???
I'm an experienced collector but might need guidance on permits there.

Paul

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
FYI, I was up on Hood yesterday we are already too late this year. Buds were already fully opened and needles were extending. I dont want to spoil anyone's fun but it would be better to wait until late fall when dormancy hits to actually collect anything up there. This time of year you will likely just kill the trees. We didnt dig a thing yesterday but had a good time looking around.:)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
FYI, I was up on Hood yesterday we are already too late this year. Buds were already fully opened and needles were extending. I dont want to spoil anyone's fun but it would be better to wait until late fall when dormancy hits to actually collect anything up there. This time of year you will likely just kill the trees. We didnt dig a thing yesterday but had a good time looking around.:)

Good to know. Thanks!

Paul

StoicGardens

Seedling
Reaction score
what a season

mother nature is sometimes problematic. Err the snow went fast this year and lasted late. It is worth the look around though. We can GPS anything we need come back when we can collect.

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
the blue ridge in the appalachians has some amazing yellow pines/mountain laurel. if anyone has relatives/friends in that area of the united states, then it may be worth a visit....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collecting in the Blue Ridge is very difficult. Most of the land surrounding the mountains and the highlands where many great conifers and deciduous bonsai candidates grow is national parkland or national forest. Permits for collecting stuff are very hard to come by. Good luck...

StoicGardens

Seedling
Reaction score
blue ridge??

I think all ranges that produce good yamadori are problematic...

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I said, if you have relatives there. private landowners are a lot easier to get permission from, especialy if they are friends/family.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right. Private landowners are the best alternative in those areas.

Top Bottom