yamadori ID, purple beech or crabapple?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The are my pyrus comunis the red one was green at the beginning of the season. The green one was in sheltered location and the one that turned red was in an exposed location. Definitely a pear
i think you put this to rest, thank you. id rather it have been a purple beech
i know where theres a massive crimson beech and am tempted to harvest some nuts from it
soon

upon second look and correlating to you, the low old growth on ours is green and the newer growth, exposed, is purp

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Pear make great trees fast growing, bark up quickly but are a disease and pest magnet. Beech are slow to thicken and very slow to close wounds, wires can damage the bark easily plus it has many other foibles. Beeches are still beautiful trees for bonsai though. Nuts from a red beech have a high chance of having purple, red or copper colour leaves.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Pear make great trees fast growing, bark up quickly but are a disease and pest magnet. Beech are slow to thicken and very slow to close wounds, wires can damage the bark easily plus it has many other foibles. Beeches are still beautiful trees for bonsai though. Nuts from a red beech have a high chance of having purple, red or copper colour leaves.
good to know - thanks

Top Bottom