Yamadori in the Rockies

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Was curious if anyone here could point me in the direction of some resources for a Armature in Yamadori. I was hoping to go out in spring as kind if a dry run, and just look around. I live in Colorado, so any books on native trees or maps of where they tend to grow would be great! Any information about digging and transport would be helpful as well!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long in Bonsai? Successefully keeping trees alive in containers yet? Generally new inexperienced "collectors" have no skill/instinct and kill valuable trees. One in the club might have the skill to show you.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thats why I said I was going to spend the year just looking for trees, not actually taking any. I just was looking for resources to learn along the way!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just google Colorado yamadori and you should find a bunch of hand drawn maps of where Randy Knight and Todd Schlafer find all of their amazing yamadori! With a big X marks the spot!

I’m kidding. No one is going to share their collecting spots on the Internet. I think the best directions you’re going to find is “look at a map of Colorado. Try out the left half.”

Now, looking for resources on HOW to collect, you should be able to find plenty :). There is a ton that goes into it, but you’re definitely going to need a lot of pumice.

Good luck!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Was curious if anyone here could point me in the direction of some resources for a Armature in Yamadori. I was hoping to go out in spring as kind if a dry run, and just look around. I live in Colorado, so any books on native trees or maps of where they tend to grow would be great! Any information about digging and transport would be helpful as well!

You have a lot of opportunities in colorado to find beautiful trees.

Enjoy the hunt and time in the wild digging.

Here is a tree I collected 9/2020 in Colorado

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 3.50.20 PM.png

Top Bottom