Yamadori in the U.S.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I say that I don't want to buy any trees but if I could find Yamadori like this Scots Pine from Kaizen in England for 1000 eu. Anyone know of where Pine material of this kind of quality is for sale in the US? It's always greener on the other side I suppose.

Attachments

• IMG_8336.JPG
    IMG_8336.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 280

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can find stuff like that here - Come Easter I will be going up into the mountains to collect yamadori and I've seen tree's like that. I'm sure there are places that have stuff like that for sale but most are adding a million zero's to it.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You won't find a Scots Pine like that in the US, they're not native here. But you can find Ponderosa Pines, Shore Pines, Limber Pines, Lodgepole Pines, Colorado Blue Spruce, various firs, and junipers in the US.

Also Pitch Pine, Eastern white Pine, Virginia Pine

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also Pitch Pine, Eastern white Pine, Virginia Pine
I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to use EWP. Many have tried. I've only seen a few decent ones in my 45 years of messing with bonsai. There are many more "bonsai friendly" species available.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Backcountry Bonsai sells US yamadori. Golden Arrow sells some as well(mostly ponderosa if I remember correctly although not likely as large). I would only recommend choosing species that are responsive to bonsai techniques.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I don't see Pine this nice available
Bro....

I am gonna go to YOU for that shit.

In the mean time....

Come down here.

https://m.facebook.com/TheHiddenGar...4293573435417/491035604427879/?type=3&theater

Sorce
Sorce, I forgot about this place. Im excited to go here in person although its like a 5 hour drive. It looks like they may have some of what I am talking about.

Im really only casually looking for good pine raw stock, Scot Pine does grow "natrually" here but it was introduced by the landscape or christmas tree industry so there are no really old yamadori. Jack Pine in my area is something I am looking for but not finding really interesting ones.

No problem with other pine species but I tend to agree with those that recommend staying with the species that respond best to bonsai techniques. Any thoughts on peoples favorite native pine that would work in zone 5? Maybe Lodgepole or Limber? I currently only have Scots and Mugo and really like both species. If I can't find good Pines like the photo I will be happily tinkering away with my Larch and Thuja :).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, the only North American collected pines that I've seen with a trunk like that would be ponderosa, and their larger needle size makes them a distant second to trees like the one in the photo.
Thats what I have been thinking. I don't mean this to be insulting but all the Ponderosa that I have seen and liked are such good trees that they are impressive despite being Ponderosa. Someone I work with had a Ponderosa on the front cover of the ABS journal, and I get to play with it a bit with him.

I feel like I am experimenting by buying a Lodgepole or Limber etc etc. because they don't naturally grow here and I don't know anyone that has one. For that reason I would not want to buy anything but a little experiment tree to see if it would be vigorous here. That could take up to 5 years to properly find out. The Scots Pine that grow around here are starting to sound the most interesting again.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I will have an abundance of collected juniperis virginiana here in about a month, very old contorted ,lots of deadwood , have and 20 flagged right now, I will also be posting up videos when I collect from the cliffs , I have to use climbing gear and boat to haul them, so it's an ordeal ,but I have marked some very nice material . Here's a teaser from thw ground

Screenshot_2016-10-25-19-44-30.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
collected juniperis virginiana
Woah judging by the pictures you may have some amazing stuff there. I would recommend not selling any until you know they have survived collection which that nice of material. Very excited to see the posts!

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
red cedar is pretty forgiving to collecting procedures from my experience, that looks like quite the mission @jriddell88 curious to know how that turns out.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes it's almost time , the only ones worth collecting are around certain bends on the river , on top of the cliffs all other cedars are shaded out and grow straight up . I will be go pro- ING the climbs , I'll share some of them soon, most of these are barely hanging on as they are growing on solid rock, I shook some of them and are very loose , they grow strong here in my climate , not sure how old some of these are but the collecting grounds are completely uninhabitable by humans .

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you gonna drop em down in the boat like how they bring the machine gun up in the birds nest in saving private ryan? not sure why buts thats what I have pictured getting these down haha.

@mattspiniken keep searching for jack pine man, if you find one it will be worthy of the effort, might even want to start researching some lesser specimens.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ive got a spotter at the top ad a guy manning the boat on the ground , like I said it's a bit of an ordeal but I'd be stupid not to do it , a handfull of these will be for members in our private study group, I will be keeping a garden full , the rest will be selling .

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice, they will transplant to the ground easily too keep in mind,, I've done it to several larger (beanpole) (not as large as these) ERC's with success.

Top Bottom