yamadori larch

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Dave...Regarding the last pictures you posted; it is hard to tell - but the 3 distinct branches you are working with or sub-trunks as some might say....are all about the same in diameter; I kind of see where you are going - you might also want to consider just keeping 1 of the 3; say the far left and then cutting back the other 2 and making jins. Also consider leaving the 3 for now; getting more buds to pop low; then cut 2 of the 3 away and cut the remaining branch low to create a new apex - you might have the makings of a cool little shohin larch with a real fat base...just some other ideas to consider....good luck...tom

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom, thanks for your thoughts. If it is to be a single trunk, I agree with the trunk you picked. There is a lot of nice movement in the branches over there. For now, it stays as is and we see how it responds. It has only been out of the woods for a year.

Dave

Attachments

• spring-10highlight.jpg
    spring-10highlight.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 104

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
signs of spring.

For those of you who like this sort of thing.

Attachments

• 100_0040.jpg
    100_0040.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 104

DesertBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Wow looks nice! Your from Syracuse eh? Go orangeman! I'm from Utica...now in Sierra Vista Az. Great tree good luck.:D

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More updating

Wow, almost a year since I updated this one, well I reduced the big roots just enough to fit it into this pot i had laying around. Once it recovers from root work, I can start bending and shaping the branches/trunks.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0343.jpg
    100_0343.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_0344.jpg
    100_0344.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_0345.jpg
    100_0345.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_0346.jpg
    100_0346.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 94

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking nice and healthy.. Like you said, when it recovers from root pruning, you are ready to go.. I see many options for this tree.. Semi cascade, informal upright, twin trunk or even wind swept style...What are you planning for this tree?:)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice Larch, and unique as well. Most Larch are single trunked, longe branched and leggy. Resit any temptation to reduce down to one trunk. As long as you are willing to make suer it does not get too dry you might improve the growth by giving it a bit more sun exposer.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice Larch, and unique as well. Most Larch are single trunked, longe branched and leggy. Resit any temptation to reduce down to one trunk. As long as you are willing to make suer it does not get too dry you might improve the growth by giving it a bit more sun exposer.

For what it is worth, I am with Vance on this. This tree is unique and very promising as it is. I hope you don't reduce it to a single trunk.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for looking guys. I do plan on sticking with the three trunks for now, and most likely a semi-cascade like style. Once it recovers and is growing nice and good, I'll get back to the styling of the canopy.

Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a quick spring pic

Attachments

• 100_0416.jpg
    100_0416.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_0417.jpg
    100_0417.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 108

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance. I did a bit of light pruning, and added a few guy wires.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0456.jpg
    100_0456.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 90

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This past weekend was my club's annual exhibit. We are a young club at only 5 years, and our show is getting better every time. This was the first time I have ever shown a tree in an exhibit, and I made my first attempts at adding moss and a few rocks.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0475.jpg
    100_0475.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_0476.jpg
    100_0476.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0474.jpg
    100_0474.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_0477.jpg
    100_0477.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0478.jpg
    100_0478.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 54

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you participating in the BSUNY show this weekend? I know you've been to meetings but am not sure if you're a member?

Chris

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be able to make it out to Rochester for most of the day on Sunday. I am a member, but haven't been able to make a meeting this year. I was going to come to the last meeting, but flooding and tornado warnings made me think twice about driving through the Montezuma refuge.

Dave

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, I'm wondering if you have any fall color pics of your larch(s) that you'd share with us? I love larch, and you have some really unique ones...

I'm also wondering if the Nick Lenz book is a worthwhile investment for those of us who don't collect? Would like to own this book, but not if it's primarily focused on the collection of trees. Just want his insights on larch development for the most part. If there are any other book suggestions, I'd love to hear them...

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm also wondering if the Nick Lenz book is a worthwhile investment for those of us who don't collect? Would like to own this book, but not if it's primarily focused on the collection of trees. Just want his insights on larch development for the most part. If there are any other book suggestions, I'd love to hear them...

The first chapter of the book is about design but the majority of it is about collecting. There are a number of pictures of wonderful Lenz trees which makes it a worthwhile purchase in my mind.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dave, I'm wondering if you have any fall color pics of your larch(s) that you'd share with us? I love larch, and you have some really unique ones...

Yeah the book is certainly about collecting but it goes farther than that, with how to treat the tree after you bring it home, techniques and tips of all the culture stuff he learned over the years. Great book, I would recommend it.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
QUOTE]

Judy, thanks for looking at my larches. They are just starting to turn right now, I'll try to get some pics when they fully turn for you.

Top Bottom