Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I want to start sharing the progression of this large yamadori Tosho. I got it last year (for free!), from someone who bought it about 7 years, styled it, but then quit the hobby all together. She wanted this tree to be in good hands, rather than letting it die in her garden.
When I got it, the deadwood was starting to rot. There was grown in wire and a couple of branches had died back completely. The growth is a bit leggy, but so much that I have to graft new foliage. The grower from whom she bought the tree, imported it from Japan and put it in the ground before selling them. It was then potted up in regular soil...

20210416_192534.jpg
20210417_095517.jpg20210417_095536.jpg
I got it in april, as it was pushing growth, I could safely repot the tree. I also cleaned up the deadwood a bit.
The soil was very loose and easily fell from in between the roots.
20210417_141809(1).jpg

Of course I didn't want to bare root this tree, but because the soil was just so loose, almost all of it came out! The roots were kept moist during the repotting process.
20210417_144111.jpg

Finished repotting;
20210417_162128.jpg

Detail of the deadwood:
20210417_162132.jpg

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
The tree grew well last year. Not vigorously, but it was pushing 3cm shoots. At the end of the growing season, I cut some unwanted branches to get more light into the dense canopy.
Also worked the deadwood some more and added more shari. Apparently a bigger part of the trunk than I expected was already dead. Still have to get rid of the tool marks, but I don't have a decent carving tool!
IMG20220412082257.jpg
IMG20220412082342.jpg
IMG20220412082354.jpg

New shari:
IMG20220412082410.jpg
IMG20220412082752.jpg

This is how it looks now:
IMG20220412083411.jpg

I really look forward to styling this tree! Maybe this summer. If the growth is still a bit on the weak side, I'll wait another year...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree is looking Mighty Fine!
Well done. I particularly like the tangled flowing lower part and some additional deadwood above within the foliage area will improve the look even more. You have a good creative eye for this tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
From what I've seen, imported Tosho like that here in the states are practically non-existent, so I'll assume they're quite uncommon in Europe. Truly a great find and free to boot. It looks like it found you just in the nick of time, too, and it will hopefully continue to strengthen. This thread will be a fun one to watch!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, I can’t wait to see the progression on this one! Super interesting

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
This tree is looking Mighty Fine!
Well done. I particularly like the tangled flowing lower part and some additional deadwood above within the foliage area will improve the look even more. You have a good creative eye for this tree.
Thanks! I picked this front and angle based on a couple criteria:
- almost all of the deadwood is visible from this angle
- interesting movement
- live vein and shari are both visible
- most branches are in the back, so I can easily bring them to the front (and shorten them visually)
- very broad and stable base

I wanted the beautiful crackly shari to be one of the highlights, so I planted the tree more upright. I left one branch behind it and one in front of it, so I can frame the shari when I wire the tree.

The basic shape is already visible... Now to tie it all together :)

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
From what I've seen, imported Tosho like that here in the states are practically non-existent, so I'll assume they're quite uncommon in Europe. Truly a great find and free to boot. It looks like it found you just in the nick of time, too, and it will hopefully continue to strengthen. This thread will be a fun one to watch!
I've seen a couple for sale online, at two Dutch bonsai nurseries. But they're not widely available in Europe either I guess... Especially gnarly ones like this one!

Sometimes I just can't believe I own this tree now... I'm just in awe. Two weeks ago I helped the previous owner with repotting an old JWP. It was the least I could do!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lower dead branching a mess, Trunk line needs exposure, Fantastic multi aged dead wood, Great movement, great tree exists hidden in there;).

Top Bottom