Reaction score
Dug up this oak a few months ago and it’s bursting with beautiful new foliage. Do you guys think this is suitable material for a good bonsai? Maybe if I chop it low and start a new leader? I dug it up because I thought the nebari was beautiful and there was a little taper at the base.
8E5EF139-7225-42EC-9AA5-FEFB30FD24A1.jpeg
78E9199B-2B4B-4B9A-BA76-2C1AB052CFC2.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Really nice tree.

If you're thinking of a chop over the next year - you'll want this to be setup for rapid growth (thick trunk, thin leaders).

The dish you have this in is really small, which will limit ability to put on a lot of growth.

Reaction score
Really nice tree.

If you're thinking of a chop over the next year - you'll want this to be setup for rapid growth (thick trunk, thin leaders).

The dish you have this in is really small, which will limit ability to put on a lot of growth.
Yeah, I figured. Thank you.
I’m thinking of a chop at the red line and the green circled branch as the new leader:
7E97CDC2-F474-4763-A00A-C1599181079B.jpeg
Thoughts?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah, that would be about where I'd go, eventually.

I would get this into a bigger container for at least a year to root-up and gain vigor.

Top chopping introduces stress from the wound, but also root damage from the sawing movement and vibration.

Lot of potential. I'm a little surprised it survived in that dish - which speaks to good aftercare.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Should also spin the pot every few weeks.

Hopefully that will encourage some budding and growth on the other side of the tree.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice. I would actually go lower than your red line. Each segment of trunk should be shorter than the previous segment. Your first 2 segments of trunk are shorter than the final segment where the red line is. Also, I would just remove all the branches, or all the growing tips and the leaves. You want to force back budding, your new leader will be one of the back buds. I don't see any of the existing branches as being part of the final design.

So cut lower, cut off most if not all branches, and you will be happier in the long run. At least that is what I would do.

Also, a wider, much wider pot to allow roots to develop. Doesn't need to be deeper, shallow is okay.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice. I would actually go lower than your red line. Each segment of trunk should be shorter than the previous segment. Your first 2 segments of trunk are shorter than the final segment where the red line is. Also, I would just remove all the branches, or all the growing tips and the leaves. You want to force back budding, your new leader will be one of the back buds. I don't see any of the existing branches as being part of the final design.

So cut lower, cut off most if not all branches, and you will be happier in the long run. At least that is what I would do.

Also, a wider, much wider pot to allow roots to develop. Doesn't need to be deeper, shallow is okay.
^ great points

Do you know if the lower branch on the left side of the second picture is dead?

Reaction score
Maybe Quercus lyrata?

I have a hard enough time with the varieties out here. Someone local should know.
Yeah i don’t know. I haven’t seen anything similar online. Beautiful foliage though. Ive actually been gone from my house for about a month now at college and the last time I saw this oak was as a stump with no leaves. My dad just sent those pictures today and I was amazed by the beautiful leaves

Top Bottom