Yamadori oaks

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's some photos of coastal yamadori oaks and oak skeletons that I thought people might enjoy. Took these last weekend.

oakc1.jpg

oakc2.jpg

oakc3.jpg

oakc4.jpg

oakc5.jpg

oakc6.jpg

It was quite a climb... I started at sea level and my daughter and I hiked the entire way :)

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Twisted scrub oaks are majestic! So is the vista there! I'm sure it was an amazing day. Makes me wonder how some people are content to rot away under florescent lights their whole life......

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
excellent pics !
are they quercus agrifolia ?

Not sure. I have just called them "coastal oaks" but I really know little about the species. People don't normally think of oaks having twisted, contorted shapes similar to California junipers (or at least I don't). However in the wild they are every bit as twisted...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's beautiful scenery Bnut! Where is this? One of the channel islands? Those small twisty oaks are awesome. Are they scrub oaks?
Si

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's beautiful scenery Bnut! Where is this? One of the channel islands? Those small twisty oaks are awesome. Are they scrub oaks?
Si

This was on Catalina. I just call them coastal oaks or scrub oaks. Either way, they are very scrubby looking :) But that's why we like 'em :)

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
These are great! Thank you for posting these photos. We can all use nature images like these to inspire designs in our bonsai.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
If they are on Catalina they may be Quercus tomentella, island oak which are endangered and only grow on the islands of So. Cal.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those images are what it's all about for me... I don't mind a beautiful crown... but give me structure and gnarly movement like that, and all is right with the world. ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Top Bottom