Yamadori pine - test-specimen

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This weekend I was in testing mode. I am in a six year bonsai developer programme. I have now succesfully completed 4 of 6 years.

For the ~7 hours styling timeslot, I picked a large yamadori pine to work on. This pine had been waiting for me in the stockyard for a while. Saw it Saturday again for the first time in six months. Made a plan. Cleaned up, trimmed, wired. And ~6 hours later the initial styling ws done.

For the health of the tree, I did not make what I wanted to. But.. The bottom right is what I have in mind in a few years, once the tree has recovered from the work.

Any thoughts?

1600280099665.png

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you can tilt the bottom right even a bit further to the right. Over time, dropping the foliage down could obscure or at least take away the eye from the straight portion of the trunk.
All in all a good start!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "#seven" shape is tough, the trunk leads right while the foliage "motions" the other way.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmmm.....spin it around? I think your losing some character in the trunk with your proposed front?

But a very cool/interesting tree, fer sho'..... :cool:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmmm.....spin it around? I think your losing some character in the trunk with your proposed front?
Let's say.. I got a 9,5 out of 10 possible points for the work overall. For the styling & choice of front 10/10.
In the discussion afterwards the person where I take classes indicated he would have done exactly the same, and I pulled out all the points of interest in the material.

Turning it around gives a "fat belly trunk" and you look at the part of the trunk with least movement.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Instead of yinning the large branch on the left, I am thinking about separating it. I know that layering no pines is not the easiest. So I was thinking about grafting seedlings on the new trunk, to use their roots for the new tree.

Does anybody know whether grafting roots onto pine works, and how to best proceed considering the well-matured bark on this one?

@Adair M @bonhe @markyscott @cmeg1 @Brian Van Fleet @fredtruck

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Instead of yinning the large branch on the left, I am thinking about separating it. I know that layering no pines is not the easiest. So I was thinking about grafting seedlings on the new trunk, to use their roots for the new tree.

Does anybody know whether grafting roots onto pine works, and how to best proceed considering the well-matured bark on this one?

Yes, you can root graft. You have to expose the cambium. Usually done as an approach graft, and bound together.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, you can root graft. You have to expose the cambium. Usually done as an approach graft, and bound together.
That is great news.

So early spring, I take a bunch of pine seedlings (I happen to have 5 of them standing around doing nothing). Cut narrow channels down to the wood, debark the seedlings on 2 sides, slide them in, tie down ensuring pressure on the seedling and wait for a year? Is that pretty much it?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

I concur with this idea. When I saw the virtual I thought it would look a bit too busy right where the foliage is and you may lose the fragility of the image. Very nice tree.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
maybe another idea, moving the trunk to the left ->
0 023.jpg

with time, the trunk will get thicker and the tree better & better imo

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe another idea, moving the trunk to the left ->
View attachment 334619

with time, the trunk will get thicker and the tree better & better imo
Hm.. That is pretty much what it is like now, correct?

I find the continuation of the main trunk distracts from the funky branch I intent to use as new trunk?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is great news.

So early spring, I take a bunch of pine seedlings (I happen to have 5 of them standing around doing nothing). Cut narrow channels down to the wood, debark the seedlings on 2 sides, slide them in, tie down ensuring pressure on the seedling and wait for a year? Is that pretty much it?
Personally would pin with cork board pins or tacks then seal wounds with grafting wax or cut paste wrap grafts with grafting tape. leave at least two growing seasons for grafts to take, unwrap, GENTLY ensure grafts have taken before cutting off tops, then let grow another season before attempting replanting/cutting off lower trees roots. Personal over caution better than losing even one graft.

Last edited:

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Hm.. That is pretty much what it is like now, correct?

I find the continuation of the main trunk distracts from the funky branch I intent to use as new trunk?
every taste is in nature, in matter of aestethic choice. I find your tree more outstanding with it's original form : with age, your tree will be very good (well balanced on the nebari & the foliage, strong and impressive trunk, interesting major interior empty space (on the left), interesting focal point (the zig zag of the trunk & funky branch melt together). If you cut or transform the main trunk in jin, you'll loose the right branch wich brings the balance on your tree. I prefer keeping the balance and the main trunk, which brings more character and focal point

With the inclinaison you chose, to me, it makes the straight part of the trunk even more visible. It(s my feeling, but tbh, i focus on that straight part of the trunk tilting on the right, and to me, it is a little "artificial" like if the tree had been tilted accidentaly by a storm. I think tilting the tree like you did, is good when the trunk has a curve (you open the major empty space) but with a straight trunk, IMO, it makes an artificial/unstable look, so it is better to keep the vertical or shakan style.

I'm not sure i understoud what you want to do with the root graft ? you want to cut the trunk under the root grafts and make a new tree like with junipers ?

Last edited:

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
afterall, maybe those inclinations could be nice with the right branch to balance the tree on the right & hiding the straight part of the trunk ->
0 026.jpg

with 5 degrees more tilted to the right ->
0 027.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol, I will try to take a better picture.
The nebari of this tree way left of where it seems. The trunk is all but straight. But.. I can add a tension wire over winter to bring a bit more schwung in there I suppose.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
ok, the trunk looks very straight on this section ->
0 028.jpg

Maybe another "front" from another angle of view would be better, we don't know..

Top Bottom