Yamadori pines

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Or the closest to yamadori so far.

Just around the corner from my place is an area they cleaned from trees to build. Unfortunately I was couple hours late and by the time i noticed some very good pines which thicker trunks than ones i got were already being chopped :(
Screenshot_20190713-150126_Video Player.jpg
I asked them to dig out 5_6 small remains trees in the perimeter they were cleaning and they nicely assisted

Screenshot_20190713-150317_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20190713-150215_Video Player.jpg

I left with 5 trees but when unloading from car a couple were clearly gunners because the soil just detached from them and the trunk was severely damaged.
So.im left with these 3, clearly nothing no one would ever consider looking at how small and how bad they are, yet I have not had experience with pine so far and the different growth and pruning needed looks daunting to me so want to train on these before venturing into quality pine.
I potted in peat to try to get easier root growth as weirdly even with delicate handling the soil.was too dry and by detaching it was taking away the roots . Each was left with minimal roots so I'm.hoping theyllmake it.
If they do I want to experiment with getting them.to back bu which is crazy difficult especially on the larger one as branches are very very long and has no buds except at the end. For this I believe I need to cut the top of each branch at the middle or level.less maybe leaving 3-4 needles? Do u think a branch that long has a chance to back bud at the base ?
If that works I will play with the branches and believe the large o e would make a nice windswept one and the smaller ones I can bend the trunk.as i wish and grow as it's still soft.
Screenshot_20190713-150823_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190713-150842_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190713-152407_Gallery.jpg

Again fully realized these are not worth the hassle but just want to experiment and learn with them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190713-150823_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190713-150823_Gallery.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190713-150823_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190713-150823_Gallery.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190713-152253_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190713-152253_Gallery.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 0

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Always good to learn with disposable material.
I usually let field soil fall off the roots of collected trees, including pines. Field soil can cause more problems in a pot than it solves so I shake most off before potting trees.

Before you worry about where to cut you need to get these trees to stay alive. Mid summer is probably not the best time to transplant but fingers crossed. I also take them when they are available and have sometimes been pleasantly surprised by trees growing despite the experts saying it was wrong time.
Peat is not generally recommended for transplanted pines. Most use a very open mix with mostly pumice or similar (stone like material that can hold some water) with plenty of air.
Keep us informed of progress or lack of....

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
One more thing, here's a closeup of the needles. Any idea what these pines are and if they are worth it for bonsais as I'm.sure I can fi d some.nice ones in the forest around my place. Screenshot_20190713-153724_Gallery.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Always good to learn with disposable material.
I usually let field soil fall off the roots of collected trees, including pines. Field soil can cause more problems in a pot than it solves so I shake most off before potting trees.

Before you worry about where to cut you need to get these trees to stay alive. Mid summer is probably not the best time to transplant but fingers crossed. I also take them when they are available and have sometimes been pleasantly surprised by trees growing despite the experts saying it was wrong time.
Peat is not generally recommended for transplanted pines. Most use a very open mix with mostly pumice or similar (stone like material that can hold some water) with plenty of air.
Keep us informed of progress or lack of....
Indeed not a good timing at all and roots as well as needles looked dry. Do u suggest I change the soil used to pumice and some other moisture retaining media ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would leave these ones as they are. No sense in further stressing badly stressed trees and who knows. Maybe this will be Ok and we will have new info.
I can't offer an ID as I don't know what species are native to Lebanon or even if these are native to your area.
Pines are classified according to the number of needles in each bunch. This looks like a 2 needle pine so that only leaves around 200 species to sort through. Location should remove a significant number more if you think this is a local native species - search for pine species native to your area. You will need to check needles, cones and bark to further narrow the possibilities.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The trouble with learning on disposable material is that you may never learn how to keep the good stuff alive. At some point you are going to have to deal with keeping the trash alive if you ever hope to progress.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The trouble with learning on disposable material is that you may never learn how to keep the good stuff alive. At some point you are going to have to deal with keeping the trash alive if you ever hope to progress.

what are some quick pointers for my novice eye for "good stuff" vs "trash".. i have been in the discus hobby for sometime.. so i have an eye for that.. small trees not so much

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
what are some quick pointers for my novice eye for "good stuff" vs "trash".. i have been in the discus hobby for sometime.. so i have an eye for that.. small trees not so much

I suggest you watch the Bonsai Mirai nursery series. Ryan Neil made some good pointers in those videos.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You always use material that will prosper in your climate until you know what you are doing.
The pines I have now.. Are JBP and Loblolly (grow locally).. Looking to add Virgina Pine.. They are used almost exclusive by the 2 Christmas tree farms here.. So I know these will grow well in my area.. So that's my intent at moment...

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I would leave these ones as they are. No sense in further stressing badly stressed trees and who knows. Maybe this will be Ok and we will have new info.
I can't offer an ID as I don't know what species are native to Lebanon or even if these are native to your area.
Pines are classified according to the number of needles in each bunch. This looks like a 2 needle pine so that only leaves around 200 species to sort through. Location should remove a significant number more if you think this is a local native species - search for pine species native to your area. You will need to check needles, cones and bark to further narrow the possibilities.
Thanks didnt know there was that many pines. Definitely local species as these are wild. Will check as u mention.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Very fair and valid comment. Yet unfortunately quality pine bonsai is very rare and outrageously priced for jbp or other if ever found ....so learning and killing a quality tree will be hard (even more emotionally than financially)
Still totally understand ur comment

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Great to see another aquarium hobbyists. Been in aquariums since I was a kid and running a large reef tank for the last 20 years.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score

Researched lebanon native pine and looks like the majority of pine umbrella or stone pine, pinus pinea isnt really native to lebanon but was planted over the last 200 years for pine nuts and wood.
Pinus brutia is the other species if pine in lebanon (believe that's the wild one that doesn't produce pine nuts. Pinus pinea is double needles and pinus brutia is single needle when juvenile so believe mines are pinus pinea As trees in that forst do carry cones and produce nuts. Also they are double.needles and are less than 5 years.
Will research if anyone has used those for bonsai.

Top Bottom