Yamadori - Pinus Sylvestris - Now what?

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi,

I hope you are all having a nice early spring :)

My kids and I were out walking when we saw this beautiful pinus looking all sad. We noticed that the owners were doing some spring cleaning and this tree was just waiting for the dump.

We have followed the guide over at Bonsai Empire for yamadori and we have also added some sphagnum moss to the soil mix. The last step is "leave it alone until the next spring. Since it seems like every bonsai "master" have different opinions I´m asking you lads on what (if) you would do more to the tree? (Yes, I´m totally new at this)

It´s to tall at the moment, the question is if I should just wait with shortening it until next spring?

2020-03-08 13.10.27.jpg2020-03-08 13.10.38.jpg2020-03-08 13.10.46.jpg2020-03-08 13.10.54.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you just collected it, don’t do anything for this year except allow it to adapt to pot culture. I wouldn’t even move it for the next few weeks, to avoid the risk of breaking any fine roots that are developing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first bonsai was a ficus, a nice, full, 7ft tall braided beauty.

That tree gave me a feeling of wonder, whole. Once I chopped it up I always missed it after that.

This one gives me that same feeling of Majesty that ficus did.
For that reason I would let it grow as is, let it big and whole!

Plus it doesn't have much going for it either.
Except it is beautiful.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From description is not Yamadori. Big difference to nursery tree you indicate. If just replanted advice to leave alone with just good care this year is valid;).

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
From description is not Yamadori. Big difference to nursery tree you indicate. If just replanted advice to leave alone with just good care this year is valid;).

Aah, that´s right. I stand corrected =) As someone earlier wrote, it hasn´t much going for it BUT it´s "collected" with my kids so it´s worth a lot =)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kids matter;). Some work and a few years and can be a good Bonsai as long as still living.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My first bonsai was a ficus, a nice, full, 7ft tall braided beauty.

That tree gave me a feeling of wonder, whole. Once I chopped it up I always missed it after that.

This one gives me that same feeling of Majesty that ficus did.
For that reason I would let it grow as is, let it big and whole!

Plus it doesn't have much going for it either.
Except it is beautiful.

Sorce

I have a Cedrus Libani that I feel this way about. It’s 10 years old and about the time to start training. But I hesitate because I like it for what it is.

As a side note to this hijack: @sorce when reading your posts I often wonder, was he intoxicated when he wrote this, or, how intoxicated was he...?

On topic: when I see a question like this I wonder, why did you plant it the way you did? Why did you choose the pot? Why did you choose the position in the pot? Why did you choose the planting angle? There are no pictures of the base of the trunk. Did u visualize it? How did the roots influence the questions I’ve asked above? Lastly, and most importantly, what was your plan that was associated with your answers to all of my previous questions? Are you reconsidering those plans? Or maybe you can share them for feedback?

Top Bottom