yamadori Pitch pine

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol I collected a couple last month from the middle of a dirt road where they've been run over a few times. We will see how they do

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Putting a comment here because I have a couple rigida seedlings and I know nothing about them.
Would be nice to follow this progression.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Not trying to be a nudge.

When starting new material, if your plan is anything other than a formal upright, plant the trunk at an angle right from the beginning. A bolt upright trunk, perfectly perpendicular to the soil line is difficult to put any sense of movement into. Even a few degrees, as little as 15 degrees off perpendicular would add greatly to the sense of movement and greatly aid in later developing a natural image. Key is the nebari needs to develop with the off vertical trunk angle. Each year in a pot at perfect perpendicular makes tilting the trunk later more difficult.

Many, many people make this mistake, including myself. So my intent is not to be hyper critical, it is as much for the "general audience" and to remind myself to survey my young stock and add a tilt where needed.

I like pitch pines, wish they grew this far west. I do have seed somewhere in my refrigerator. I need to start another round of seedlings.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pitch pine is very special for one reason I don’t have any o lot source of wild trees in Canada is protected forest. Going there this summer hope to get a few cones for seeds only source I know for seeds that will export from USA to Canada is out of stock anyway my problem . There special feature that is not shared with other pines Is they will sprout buds from old wood even where there never was a bud . If you drastically chop one the should bud back there is evidence of them budding from forest fire trunks burnt to near the ground this feature bakes them extremy useful to us insane tree huggers l

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Pitch pine is very special for one reason I don’t have any o lot source of wild trees in Canada is protected forest. Going there this summer hope to get a few cones for seeds only source I know for seeds that will export from USA to Canada is out of stock anyway my problem . There special feature that is not shared with other pines Is they will sprout buds from old wood even where there never was a bud . If you drastically chop one the should bud back there is evidence of them budding from forest fire trunks burnt to near the ground this feature bakes them extremy useful to us insane tree huggers l
Canary island pine does the same they sprout after fires or even choped down to the stump!!

Top Bottom