Yamadori potting soil

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
So… like everything else, I always jump in head first. Getting back into Bonsai is no exception.

I collected a bunch of specimens this spring. I read a ton about soil and pumice and moss and bark and DO NOT plant in potting soil and kitty litter from Europe and blah blah ….

So I said, “you know what, these are all going to die anyway, so I’ll just pot them up”

I ended up doing equal parts potting soil, peat moss, and then a bag of small gravel. I know … I can see people turning in their graves and punching their monitors, but everything survived! And is actually flourishing!

So …??? Did I luck out? Did I do something right? Believe me, I check on these guys daily, keep them in the shade, check soil moisture daily, and am quite obsessive..

And next spring, rest assured, they will be going into training pots with proper soil and all the bells and whistles.

sorry for the long post. Had some time. Thoughts welcome.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probably a little bit of luck and a lot of skill. :)

And what were these specimens? I use pure potting soil for willow cuttings sometimes. 100% success rate. Genius?

The issue with potting soil is that it defeats the purpose of using any of the other stuff because it clogs the spaces where the air is supposed to be.

It doesn't mean you will automatically have failures, it's just more likely, especially for someone not as skilled or obsessive.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your mix evidently was good enough for your plants to flourish. It may not be good for plants to flourish in for 2-3 years without repotting, though. You'll probably want to get some better soil components down the line. If your plants are growing well and the water is still draining, just relax. You'll be ok. When you start going to smaller, conventional bonsai pots, that's when you really need to get a better draining mix.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can successfully grow trees in almost any soil. The key is to match watering and care with the soil which you seem to have done. Larger and deeper pots are also much easier to manage than shallower pots typically used for bonsai.
Just don't get too complacent. It can sometimes take months or years for poorer potting soils to begin to cause any problems. Root problems also take many months to become established and cause damage. While they may not be present initially they may arrive and thrive at any time in future if conditions are suitable.
Continue to monitor carefully.

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
So, lets say I am going to transfer to a different soil … which I am, and was planning on doing this fall … is that ok? Should I do it sooner and risk some shock to the trees? Or just wait because everything ‘seems’ fine?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me it is also species dependent. I have zero concern with collecting bald cypress, mayhaw and put them in potting soil. I absolutely won’t do that with maples, junipers etc.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So, lets say I am going to transfer to a different soil … which I am, and was planning on doing this fall … is that ok? Should I do it sooner and risk some shock to the trees? Or just wait because everything ‘seems’ fine?
I would wait because everything seems fine. Just because something COULD happen does not mean it WILL or that it will happen soon. Many trees grow well in ordinary potting soil for many years with no sign of problems.
Transfer now has a much higher risk of causing stress and much greater consequences so leave them alone and continue to monitor soil moisture carefully this summer.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would wait because everything seems fine. Just because something COULD happen does not mean it WILL or that it will happen soon. Many trees grow well in ordinary potting soil for many years with no sign of problems.
Transfer now has a much higher risk of causing stress and much greater consequences so leave them alone and continue to monitor soil moisture carefully this summer.
Agree. After collection comes formation of very tender roots that can be damaged easily. The tree won’t have any energy left to recover if they lose these roots.

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. Patience and wait til next spring and repot. Next season after repot some mild pruning and shaping and get ready for years or blissful bonsai ahead!! 🤪

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s what I’m thinking. Patience and wait til next spring and repot. Next season after repot some mild pruning and shaping and get ready for years or blissful bonsai ahead!! 🤪
Hold off on the pruning and shaping until you are sure the trees are growing vigorously. Some plants may sulk a bit following a repot. Some will bounce right back. Don’t prune or wire the ones that sulk. Sometimes that means waiting until fall or even the following spring to style.

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
Follow up question. Locus and Maple are starting to shoot! Locus obviously much more than maple.

should I let them go nuts or prune back to keep them in control and encourage lower growth? A09B152D-17A4-42B4-BDE1-E2A416382A35.jpeg

Attachments

• 0843FC25-2409-4E96-BA89-C860CA62B805.jpeg
    0843FC25-2409-4E96-BA89-C860CA62B805.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 9

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Follow up question. Locus and Maple are starting to shoot! Locus obviously much more than maple.

should I let them go nuts or prune back to keep them in control and encourage lower growth? View attachment 440514
Leave it alone for sure. It's trying to gain strength.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
+1 for let it grow. Roots need leaves to recover. Most collected trees are left totally alone for at least a year. Only light trim if growth is VERY strong or something is causing problems.
Time to encourage lower growth after the trees have recovered strength.

Top Bottom