yamadori question

Lone Pine

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So today is the first snow of winter and temperatures are starting to get colder. I pass by this stump on my morning commute into work. It was cut down to a stump this autumn because high winds took down most of the tree. I am thinking about collecting this stump for a bonsai. I'm pretty sure its a Green Hawthorn. I would like the opinions of someone more experienced: Is this stump a lost cause? If not, should I attempt a collection soon (when snow thaws), or wait till early spring? The tree is pushed over a bit so some roots are exposed to air, and by now is covered in snow. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• stump.jpg
    stump.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 228

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Free material is free material. But IMO, that doesn’t look like anything too exciting.
I could be wrong. If it is still there come spring time, I’d probably dig it up just to see.

Lone Pine

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Free material is free material. But IMO, that doesn’t look like anything too exciting.
I could be wrong. If it is still there come spring time, I’d probably dig it up just to see.

Not Yamadori. Just flower bed seedling.
Dang autocorrect.. I meant to title 'Flower bed seedling'.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's yours or you have permission to get it you might as well.

~p.s.~ Please fill in your profile with your location so we know where in the world you are. It helps us give more accurate advice.

Tall Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes... it is usually better to dig deciduous trees in the early spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Timing depend so much on local climate. Down here we collect (English) hawthorn from late summer through to late spring and the majority of them survive. I have no experience of colder climate but if trees are dormant they are dormant all through winter no matter what the temp.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My hawthorn was grown from a stump that looked a lot like that. 20 short years later, it’s a decent bonsai.
If you have permission and want to try, go for it. Most of the hard work of chopping and digging is already done!
C98D2EA9-14C2-46BD-8140-4FF00E54BD53.jpeg

Lone Pine

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update:
I figured there was a chance that this tree could get plowed over next snowstorm, so I just went for it.
Not sure if she will revive, but crossing fingers. Perhaps the trunk is too tall? If I want the first branches to start halfway up, should i cut it back now? Or just wait for tree to recover? (I'm a complete novice)

PXL_20210108_012039177.jpgPXL_20210108_012156460.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Frankly, I think you've given that tree its best possible chance. IMO, if she doesn't come out of it in spring, it wasn't your fault. Silly question but, you are keeping her outside, right?

Lone Pine

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Frankly, I think you've given that tree its best possible chance. IMO, if she doesn't come out of it in spring, it wasn't your fault. Silly question but, you are keeping her outside, right?
We shared a ginger beer, then I stuck her outside on the balcony.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
nice, good luck I hope it makes it. I would cut back now, the last thing you want is all the new growth coming from the chop sight and then having to cut it back and start over. Plus, what do ya got to lose 🤷‍♂️

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was willing to bet that the city had it on its springtime excavate & replant list and there was a good chance it would be replaced one day sooner than you planned on extracting it. Good preemptive move!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly, sawing off now will only damage roots. Once re established yellow line.

Top Bottom