Yamadori rehab

joepa82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently tried my hand at collecting and have a question. Everything I read suggests you should keep recently collected material in indirect sunlight and protect from frost. As the temperatures here dropped below freezing I moved my yamadori inside. It is bagged and sitting in a south facing window. My question is, Should I keep my tree inside for a few weeks until temperatures raise for good? Doesn't a south facing window satisfy the needs of a recently collected tree? Attached is a picture for good measure.

Attachments

• yamadori 2.jpg
    yamadori 2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 81

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could be wrong but I'd like to help you get the ball rolling. First, what species is this?

Definitely a good idea to keep it inside during the cold spell. I've never read anything that says bagging collected deciduous trees is necessary. Might not need that. I'd suggest keeping it inside, making sure the roots don't dry up, and get it outside again after the cold snap.

Without any leaves, I don't believe you need to shade the tree. Put it where it's going to live. It sounded as if you were suggeting leaving it inside. A fish don't live in the desert, a tree don't
live indoors!

I'm no Randy Knight, but I thought I'd help where I can. Others, please feel free to correct.

joepa82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is amur honeysuckle. I do not plan on keeping this inside, I only brought it in to keep it from freezing. I bagged it to contain some of the moisture, thinking indoors would be too dry, and because I have seen somewhere, someone do this to a weakened tree. But, I really have no idea what I am doing. My worry is that moving this outside, then back in next time it gets cold, then outside, then back in...etc, would be more stressful than just leaving it indoors where it will have indirect light, warm temps, and relatively good humidity (from the bag) for 2-3 weeks while it recovers then transitioning to outside permanently.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Honeysuckle is tough as nails. Mist the trunk as often as you walk past it...keep it outside unless its below 32, and in plenty of sunlight...just be aware that moving it a lot is hard on the new roots. You want the soil warm, and the trunk exposed to sunlight to encourage those latent buds to pop. Let everything grow on it all year. Next year you can start thinking about what to keep and what to cut... Good luck!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of the above advice is good.

Since the tree has no leaves, inside during cold weather isn't going to hurt. It may help, actually, because the warmth inside the house will speed root development. I'd keep inside until the weather warms.

I would NOT bag it. That would set you up for fungal problems. Just make sure the roots stay moist (not soggy). Newly collected trees don't use alot of water because their root system is compromised. That means overwatering is a BIG danger (that comes with being too attentive to the plant)

Top Bottom