Yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, with Walter Pall the guest artist at the North Carolina Bonsai Expo, I was thrilled to show this tree in the Atlanta Bonsai Society display. It really wasn't ready to be shown yet, but I couldn't resist getting it back together with Walter one more time:D. He had some interesting things to say about the tree, too...

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 291

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, with Walter Pall the guest artist at the North Carolina Bonsai Expo, I was thrilled to show this tree in the Atlanta Bonsai Society display. It really wasn't ready to be shown yet, but I couldn't resist getting it back together with Walter one more time:D. He had some interesting things to say about the tree, too...

Looks nice Dave. Seems like you are taking good care of it looking back through the progression, it's coming along nicely. What did Walter have to say?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Tom. Walter's critique of the tree lasted all of 30 seconds and was straight to the point. He pointed out that the very vigorous, healthy canopy was overwhelming what should be the eyecatcher for this tree- the deadwood. He suggested that the apex should be shortened by a solid half, and the two main branches reduced by at least 50%...maybe even remove the right branch all together. Reducing the canopy as drastically as he suggested would make the tree smaller and the trunk with all its natural deadwood all the more powerful. He absolutely hated the lime sulfur bleaching that I did prior to the show(he recommends applying the jin fluid every 25 years or so;)), and he said the pot was too deep for the tree.

I absolutely agree that the canopy is too large for the tree...removing the right branch was an option I have considered since I first started working on this tree. We'll see. As far as the lime sulfur is concerned, I agree that the natural grey color of the deadwood would have been preferred, but I had newly uncovered and cleaned wood from removing old bark that was unweathered and stood out like a sore thumb until the jin fluid was applied. The pot may or may not be too deep for the tree, but right now, the root system won't allow for a more shallow pot.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it's coming along very nicely :D I'm sure you must be really proud to have been asked to display it. Thanks for sharing.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave you hit on a biggie, it's can be humbling, but have a tree critiqued by pro's can be enlightening, although I imagine you had a similar plan for your tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave you hit on a biggie, it's can be humbling, but have a tree critiqued by pro's can be enlightening, although I imagine you had a similar plan for your tree.

Yes, definitely, it's these critiques that help me understand my material more thoroughly and , perhaps, take it to the next level.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dave I agree with the foliage reduction, I think it would make a huge difference. Nice job taking criticism it can be hard. Still, like the tree and what you've done with it.

Reaction score
Dave, your tree has come a long way... this is the first time for me seeing this post and I like it.
However, what seems to me to be lacking with it now, and has somehow gotten lost... is it's ruggedness.
For me seeing the tree in your very first photos, they feel like they just came off the side of a mountain. Now not so much.
Obviously some of this has to do with the bleached wood, which could easily be resolves with some waterdown black paint, or ink. Not a prob.
I agree with walter's critique on some aspects.
I think the pot is a little overpowering, but health takes first priority.
I think the foilage needs to be reduced, but not necessarily in the way that was suggested. Another way might be by actually going through and thinning it out. Old rugged trees usually have rather sparce foilage, like in your original photos. For me as well I kinda liked the branches a little more straight. When you styled them you put some curves in, which kinda softened it's hard apperance.
So, my suggestion would be... to go back and review your original pics and see what attracted you to it in the first place. Don't forget as your thread says it is a Yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper. And then style it as you see fit and what matches your discription.
Nice work, keep it up !!!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I absolutely agree that the canopy is too large for the tree...removing the right branch was an option I have considered since I first started working on this tree. We'll see. As far as the lime sulfur is concerned, I agree that the natural grey color of the deadwood would have been preferred, but I had newly uncovered and cleaned wood from removing old bark that was unweathered and stood out like a sore thumb until the jin fluid was applied. The pot may or may not be too deep for the tree, but right now, the root system won't allow for a more shallow pot.

Just out of curiosity, did Walter say what you should have done instead with the deadwood? If you're in a high humidity area, I think you need to take preventative measures to protect the deadwood. On the other hand, if you're in a mountainous area with little humidity, then you can afford to take fewer preventative measures.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just out of curiosity, did Walter say what you should have done instead with the deadwood? If you're in a high humidity area, I think you need to take preventative measures to protect the deadwood. On the other hand, if you're in a mountainous area with little humidity, then you can afford to take fewer preventative measures.

He didn't offer any other suggestions other then to say he hated the bleached wood. He prefers the natural greys of old deadwood, as do I. Honestly, I only applied the jin fluid because the new and old deadwood clashed so much...the last time I had applied it was probably 4-5 years ago, and I definitely like the more natural color. In a few months, the bleaching will fade again.

As far as protecting the wood from deterioration, Kathy Shaner recommended a water based wood hardener called PC-Petrifier...I found some at Ace Hardware. She cuts it 50% with water and applies it to the deadwood which has been pre moistened. I've used it and like it alot as it doesn't give the wood a "plastic" look as some of the other wood hardeners might. As a matter of fact, I was treating the wood with this product just this morning:).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, your tree has come a long way... this is the first time for me seeing this post and I like it.
However, what seems to me to be lacking with it now, and has somehow gotten lost... is it's ruggedness.
For me seeing the tree in your very first photos, they feel like they just came off the side of a mountain. Now not so much.
Obviously some of this has to do with the bleached wood, which could easily be resolves with some waterdown black paint, or ink. Not a prob.
I agree with walter's critique on some aspects.
I think the pot is a little overpowering, but health takes first priority.
I think the foilage needs to be reduced, but not necessarily in the way that was suggested. Another way might be by actually going through and thinning it out. Old rugged trees usually have rather sparce foilage, like in your original photos. For me as well I kinda liked the branches a little more straight. When you styled them you put some curves in, which kinda softened it's hard apperance.
So, my suggestion would be... to go back and review your original pics and see what attracted you to it in the first place. Don't forget as your thread says it is a Yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper. And then style it as you see fit and what matches your discription.
Nice work, keep it up !!!

The tree is definitely going to get a trim. I just need to decide if I want to continue developing the tree in the classical Japanese form where heavy, dense canopies are acceptable on these old weathered trunks,or more like those styled by Walter Pall, where the canopy is more or less an accessory to the gnarly deadwood and massive trunk. The tree can be successfully styled either way...I just have to commit

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He didn't offer any other suggestions other then to say he hated the bleached wood. He prefers the natural greys of old deadwood, as do I. Honestly, I only applied the jin fluid because the new and old deadwood clashed so much...the last time I had applied it was probably 4-5 years ago, and I definitely like the more natural color. In a few months, the bleaching will fade again.

As far as protecting the wood from deterioration, Kathy Shaner recommended a water based wood hardener called PC-Petrifier...I found some at Ace Hardware. She cuts it 50% with water and applies it to the deadwood which has been pre moistened. I've used it and like it alot as it doesn't give the wood a "plastic" look as some of the other wood hardeners might. As a matter of fact, I was treating the wood with this product just this morning:).

Thanks for passing that along - I'll have to check it out. :D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice tree (and pot) Dave! It's really looking great, especially in the current planting position. Congrats on showing it. FWIW, I like the developing canopy and am definitely (at the moment) partial to the fuller canopies over gnarly deadwood...realistic or not. If anything, I might consider refining the cascading right branch into a few pads, and not letting the apex get much taller. The silhouette is very pleasing. Check out Jonas' blog entry today, a nice shimp with some similarities to the styling of yours.

Reaction score
The tree is definitely going to get a trim. I just need to decide if I want to continue developing the tree in the classical Japanese form where heavy, dense canopies are acceptable on these old weathered trunks,or more like those styled by Walter Pall, where the canopy is more or less an accessory to the gnarly deadwood and massive trunk. The tree can be successfully styled either way...I just have to commit

Then for the moment why don't you just continue with the shape you currently have just bring the foilage back in, by giving it that trim...
I think the only real problem is that the foilage is out growing the scale ratio set forth by the thickness of the trunk.

Then enjoy it like it is until you decide... always easier to remove then add.
Good luck and nice tree !

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree (and pot) Dave! It's really looking great, especially in the current planting position. Congrats on showing it. FWIW, I like the developing canopy and am definitely (at the moment) partial to the fuller canopies over gnarly deadwood...realistic or not. If anything, I might consider refining the cascading right branch into a few pads, and not letting the apex get much taller. The silhouette is very pleasing. Check out Jonas' blog entry today, a nice shimp with some similarities to the styling of yours.
Thanks for the thumbs up, Brian. One thing that may be obvious to some here is that this tree is still developing and really wasn't show ready...the only reason I wanted to bring it to the Expo was to let Walter see it in person again. I've been growing out the canopy- thinning/pinching/repeat- for the last three years and the canopy really has filled in and out. It now needs to be refined...pads need to be formed and the apex needs to be shortened. Also, there is a 6-8" slightly curved portion of the trunk that comprises the apex that has no taper and really needs to be shortened significantly or hidden. In other words, I think I need to redo the apex. I'll be having fun later on this fall, for sure. Take care,

Dave

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan was awesome and taught me a great deal about RMJ. He also showed me how to apply raffia correctly...pretty time consuming (for someone just learning) but satisfying when the results are good. The photos show what was accomplished during the workshop. I applied the raffia to the main right branch and apex, repositioned them with the help of Ryan and guy wires, and begain to wire the tree out again. I need to finish wiring out the finer branches, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• DSCF0963.1.jpg
    DSCF0963.1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF0968.1.jpg
    DSCF0968.1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF0971.1.jpg
    DSCF0971.1.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 195
Top Bottom