Yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is a tree I acquired 2 summers ago. I re-potted it last March at a Walter Pall workshop. The tree has grown very well for me, so I thought I would go ahead and begin to style it. I'm done with the wiring for now, and need to do a bit more work on the jin at the top. The first picture shows what I consider to be the best front. In the future, I'm considering reducing or even entirely removing the lowest branch on the right side (future jin). Comments welcome.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1903.2.jpg
    IMG_1903.2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_1901.2.jpg
    IMG_1901.2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,295
  • IMG_1896.2.jpg
    IMG_1896.2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_1899.2.jpg
    IMG_1899.2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_1898.2.jpg
    IMG_1898.2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 908

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is this the tree that there was the big to-do about last year on IBC or BT being purchased by a beginner because all the roots were off to one side, yadda, yadda??? If so, in such a short period of time, it is coming along nicely...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is this the tree that there was the big to-do about last year on IBC or BT being purchased by a beginner because all the roots were off to one side, yadda, yadda??? If so, in such a short period of time, it is coming along nicely...

Yes, this would be that tree. It's proven to be quite vigorous for me, and it has come a long way in the 20 months I've owned it. Let's hope that continues:D

Dave

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

Don't rush it! Its a pretty good tree and I would hate to see anything bad happen from too much work too soon. RMJ really need not be rushed.
For my taste the jin at the top is too much and really brings out the straight boring section of the apex. I think getting rid of that jin and defining the apex a bit more would help hid that straight portion a bit.

When you repotted this with Walter did you guys talk about how to style this tree? Just curious.

Nice progress so far....

Jason

Oh, and there is NOTHING wrong with a beginneer owning a tree like this....., nothing at all!!! :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the reply, Jason. I agree about the jin/apex in that it is a bit straight, and I am thinking of making the jin smaller...I'm going to stare at it for a while first:) .

I know it appears like I've done a huge amount of work to this tree at one time. However, you should know that the major branch bending began the summer I acquired the tree. Over the last two seasons, I've been slowly lowering them so that the two main branches were basically in their final position since last fall, except for a tweak or two this past week (there would be no way I could have bent these branches to their current positions at one go). This past week was spent clearing out all the unwanted foliage and wiring out everything that remained. I feel fairly comfortable with what I've done, but time will tell;) . Hopefully, I'll have some good follow-up pictures later this summer. Take care,

Dave

PS Walter and I talked very briefly about fronts and styling for this tree, really only a for a few seconds. We were satisfied with just getting it potted up:D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I finally got this one into a descent pot last week. I'm very happy with it. From here on, I will mainly be refining the foliage.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0173.2.jpg
    DSCF0173.2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 925

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has a LOT of potential. thanks for sharing!

mossbear

Seed
Reaction score
Nice...

Nice work. Looks to be a great tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice canopy developing on this one. Looks to be ready for some fine wire.

Keep up the progression, very helpful.

Al

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am really liking your work with this tree.............You know what other work I like...lol.......... I think... YEW.... know..........ha ha ha ha

Rob

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Al, I'm just getting around to wiring the canopy out now. By the way, the tree got its first humate application 2 weeks ago;).

Dave

Dave, I think you need a good shohin JBP, what say I put one in the mail and send me that old RMJ.

Ciao,
Harry

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
lol... Hold on Harry. You still owe me 1 hinoki cypress.....lol

Rob

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
lol... Hold on Harry. You still owe me 1 hinoki cypress.....lol

Rob

I couldn't get it in mail before it died, sorry. It's Christmas Day here, I waiting for the UPS truck to deliver me a new tree.

Harry

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, I think you need a good shohin JBP, what say I put one in the mail and send me that old RMJ.

Ciao,
Harry

Hey Harry, tell you what...throw in one of your nice junipers along with the JBP and we got a deal...you pay for shipping:D.

Dave

By the way, Harry, now that it's in a tokoname pot, it weighs about 70 pounds...just to help you calculate freight costs:eek:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Never mind , I couldn't pick it up.....:(

Harry

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry Harry. I'm 6' 1", 225 pounds and can barely handle it by myself.

Walter, thanks again. I'll hopefully have more pictures later this summer.

Dave

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice restraint in moving those branches.
I'll bring an extra back brace when I hit Mass again. Looks like your going to need it.;)

Top Bottom