Yamadori style alberta spruce

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Also, if anyone was wondering what I am going to with this tree. Here is a virt of my plan. Right after it was done, I knew what I wanted to do.

Rob

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting and WOW that thing is flexible!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just an update. The tree has done very well. Seems it was unphased by all the heavy work. Also, the tree started to acclimate almost immediately to its new position. Notice the left side growing upwards. So as of now, there you have it. A 2 feet tall with about a 1 inch trunk tree, twisted up like it was a small juniper cutting. :D

Rob

Before and after

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is exceptional work. Can't wait until I have the experience/balls to try to pull something like this off. Really rooting for this guy.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice work. When I scrolled through your virts, I kept thinking, what is that in the top left corner. Kanji? The I realized when I saw step 4 that I am an idiot and remembered how hard it is to freehand that stuff with a mouse...lol.

Can't wait for more updates!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very impressive! Can't wait to see it develop more.

Thank you Kennedy, come late Spring, there will be bud reduction only in the form of cutting and pinching. Then in Late Summer/early Fall the tree will get it's first actual styling. I think I will leave it in the nursery soil/dirt it is in for a while during training. It's seems pretty happy and any further trauma to the tree that is not necessary, should be avoided.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
bump did this guy pull through winter?

Thanks for asking. The tree is doing incredibly well. Probably the best grower this season. Also, I am thinking of a semi cascade for it. I have a good feeling about this tree. It will receive it's first syling this Fall. Here it is with the proposed future planting angle.

Rob

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that is awe inspiring! I have a dozen of these on the back burner. I am very well inspired!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. There is a somewhat new pic on the previous page. However, the tree has grown much more since then. In fact, the tree is so strong, that it bent the thick aluminum wire. The second half of the tree that was wired down has grown back up again. Essentially pushing the apex back upright. I am intending to work on this tree in about 3 weeks. I am really looking forward to it. I will post new before and afters then.:D

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is the first styling of this tree. Also something worth mentioning. When I did the initial bends last year, the top was pulled down and toward the left to make a cascade. However, the tree was so strong, even with a thick wire on it, the tree bent the whole right side back up into an upright position on it's own.

I did tweak a couple of things after the pics were taken. I will assess the tree again in the future.

Rob

Before

After

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking great Rob, just as I expected from you. What will you be doing next and when?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow. Pretty impressive Rob. Any idea when you will try and take the raffia and wire off?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would have never seen that developed image from the before photos. Great eye! Now I'm going to turn every tree I own on its side this weekend and see if I'm missing out on an opportunity. :rolleyes:

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is the first styling of this tree. Also something worth mentioning. When I did the initial bends last year, the top was pulled down and toward the left to make a cascade. However, the tree was so strong, even with a thick wire on it, the tree bent the whole right side back up into an upright position on it's own.

I did tweak a couple of things after the pics were taken. I will assess the tree again in the future.

Rob

Before

After

I don't have experience with these myself but have heard that they don't hold their position very well once wire comes off but just spring back to their original shape. I hope this one holds better than that. Thanks for the update Rob!

Top Bottom