Yamadori Style Junipers

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Started a couple Yamadori Style Junipers with some Kishu seedlings this morning. Fun little, long-term projects for sure. I have a few slightly larger Kishu in the yard that I'm going to dig up in the spring that are going to receive this treatment.

0108211131_HDR.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's one of these that I did a few years ago. My little Corgi pup ate the other one 😡. I continue to add movement to branches each year. Much on the left side will probably just become jin, but I'm growing it out to thicken the trunk. Same thing for the top. It should be a nice shohin someday.
20240213_140013.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice. i just got done twisting up two dozen itoigawa cuttings that i took last year. now just have to wait a few years :D

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Ohh give it 5 - 10 more years and these will be soo nice!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice. i just got done twisting up two dozen itoigawa cuttings that i took last year. now just have to wait a few years :D
Sweet! They are fun. Definitely a long-term project, but I think it will be nice to see the result of this continued twisting and shari work. It will hopefully end up being a nice little shohin with a lot of character.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ohh give it 5 - 10 more years and these will be soo nice!
Yup. Probably at least 10 years. Kishus seem to trunk up really slowly. It also doesn't seem to matter if they're in the ground or in a pot, the rate is about the same. In a pot, at least you can easily wire and do deadwood work.

Top Bottom