Yamadori swap?

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am wanting a nice old, character filled urbandori weaping rosemary.
I saw a lot of nice specimens last time I was in CA.
I am in Utah and have good success with Utah juniper, subalpine fir, wild plum, and Big tooth Maple, which are abundant here.

Anyone interested in a swap? I dig for you, and you for me? We should probably let them recover before completing.
Here is a pic of my best utah juniper I collected in 201658019525_2321028017964925_8773825802916593664_o.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some big tooth maple seeds cold stratifying right now. Seems they should make great bonsai.

There won't be much you can't find in Utah that you could find here, and Lord knows I have enough trees for now, but If anything pops out at me I'll let you know.

@luvinthemountains is in Utah, though I couldn't tell you where exactly. Maybe he has some thoughts.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@luvinthemountains is in Utah, though I couldn't tell you where exactly. Maybe he has some thoughts.

Well, I don't have a lot of thoughts because it seems like @Captkingdom is after weeping (creeping?) rosemary in particular, which appears to be a subtropical species which is why they are not finding any around northern Utah. St. George is in the south of the state, and you could probably find mature specimens in landscapes down there. It might be as simple as posting to a couple of southern Utah FB groups or classified sites (i.e., KSL) to find somebody with one they want gone.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am game if you want to trade Utah juniper with bald cypress.

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am game if you want to trade Utah juniper with bald cypress.
Why not!? I would also love to add that to my collection.
You aren't too close to me so I assume shipping may cost a bit.

Please let me know what size and amount of character you think you can come up with, and please let me know the size and character you hope for.
I will try hard not to disappoint you.
One question though, do you get cold enough the to give the Utah J some dormancy? I am completely inexperienced with their tolerance of other climates.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why not!? I would also love to add that to my collection.
You aren't too close to me so I assume shipping may cost a bit.

Please let me know what size and amount of character you think you can come up with, and please let me know the size and character you hope for.
I will try hard not to disappoint you.
One question though, do you get cold enough the to give the Utah J some dormancy? I am completely inexperienced with their tolerance of other climates.
I am planning to move to PA next year so if it can survive til then it’s all good.

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, some of you with access to rosemary must be hesitant because they are notoriously difficult to collect old ones.
Well, according to my research, rosemary takes in a significant portion of it's water through it's foliage, and according to my experience they also send roots out easily.
Therefore, I hypothesize that if they are places in a missing tent for a few months after collection, like I do with juniper yamadori, they will survive just fine.
I'm willing to take the risk.
In fact if you can acquire something good for me, I would also take the risk of simply having you wrap it up and send it for me to manage the recovery. Whether it lives or dies I will still complete the exchange.
It's probably the cheapest way to ship anyway. Perhaps we both do the collection, wrap and let the other manage recovery.

This is where I learned the technique:

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well what caliper are you looking for I have a small one 1/2" if you have something that lives in zone 9 that isn't at the nurseries here.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I see you were looking for weeping anyway, so different... what a nice species. I can't find bonsai photos of weeping rosemary but great retaining wall cascade.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Interesting idea, the styling Sam applied to this Utah looks to be developing well.

how has the foliage density developing with this Utah?

Top Bottom