YAMADORI TREE ID HELP PLS

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Collecting last weekend up at 7000' and saw/collected this little guy. I am not at all sure what it is. It is about 5" tall, base to top, and needles very short. It has the budding of a Subalpine fir but the dark green color and the very thick foliage is a bit different. Help appreciated.

Attachments

• 67804342382__9D95A562-B312-4A3C-A312-3E7A9D07973C.jpg
    67804342382__9D95A562-B312-4A3C-A312-3E7A9D07973C.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4551.jpg
    IMG_4551.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 78
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Perhaps a Mountain Hemlock, I believe that would be consistent with your location.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Perhaps a Mountain Hemlock, I believe that would be consistent with your location.
According to the US Forest Service maps and findings, there are not supposed to be any Mt Hemlocks around here but I certainly think it could be a Hemlock the way it looks. Thanks for input.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Give it the ole sniff test. Break and rub a needle in your fingers. True fir will smell good, christmassy-citrus. Like a candle.
Mountain hemlock smells a bit like pickles.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Give it the ole sniff test. Break and rub a needle in your fingers. True fir will smell good, christmassy-citrus. Like a candle.
Mountain hemlock smells a bit like pickles.
I'm ON IT!

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm ON IT!
Did you take any photos of the area where you found the tree? It’s much easier to identify the surrounding parent trees and then deduce from that knowledge. The grow site can also provide a lot of clues to the species.

At this point, I’d agree with KikurageOtomo. The brown stem and needle growth habit is consistent with Mountain Hemlock, although other species can sort of appear this way.
With sub alpine fir I would be looking for more glaucousness on the needles, a grayish and possibly blistered stem, a pleasant odor, and a more symmetrical/pyramidal growth habit.

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
As I understand it the petioles of fir needles resemble a little "suction cup". Example:
firpetiole.png

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok...wife and I did the sniff test and now all the neighbors think we snort coke! Thanks for the help:). After looking (and looking), sniffing, and comparing, I believe this is a SA Fir mainly because of the needle arrangement. I have some Mt Hemlocks and their needles are similar but have a wild hair design verses a more even and calculated design as in SA Fir. Thanks for all the input!

Top Bottom