Yamadori-trip

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Heya!
Just wanted to share some pics from a yamadori-trip last evening. All pictures were taken within 30 minutes. None of them are really spectacular but the last one I think is worth collecting.

Attachments

• blabla 001.jpg
    blabla 001.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 65
  • blabla 002.jpg
    blabla 002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 58
  • blabla 003.jpg
    blabla 003.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 72
  • blabla 004.jpg
    blabla 004.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 70
  • blabla 005.jpg
    blabla 005.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Some more.

Attachments

• blabla 008.jpg
    blabla 008.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 39
  • blabla 010.jpg
    blabla 010.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 42
  • blabla 011.jpg
    blabla 011.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 63

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you for sharing! I think all of them are interesting - the character of the bark suggests old age even on these small guys. Pretty good ramification on some of them as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Something I've noticed; the bark really differs between different areas. The bark on the trees around where I live is usually pretty clean (no moss or lichen) but the bark on these babies is pretty much black. The ones posted here are about 60km away from where I live so the distance is not so great. Perhaps a no-brainer, but it really struck me when I noticed.

The second in the top post might be worth looking at again, the taper could be really sweet with some branches gone.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Something I've noticed; the bark really differs between different areas. The bark on the trees around where I live is usually pretty clean (no moss or lichen) but the bark on these babies is pretty much black.

I was reading an interesting article last night about Kamura and how he took a tree with immature bark and placed it so the trunk (bark) was in total shade while the foilage was getting direct sunlight. The bark matured quickly - becoming cracked and covered in lichen. I had never thought about treating the trunk of a tree separately from the foilage...

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was reading an interesting article last night about Kamura and how he took a tree with immature bark and placed it so the trunk (bark) was in total shade while the foilage was getting direct sunlight. The bark matured quickly - becoming cracked and covered in lichen. I had never thought about treating the trunk of a tree separately from the foilage...

That was in the Pines book, right? My gut tells me there is a little more to it than just that - like environment, watering schedule, humidity, etc...

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That was in the Pines book, right? My gut tells me there is a little more to it than just that - like environment, watering schedule, humidity, etc...
I have read it also I'm not sure if it was in the pine book but. Anyway the bark will age faster on the shady side, especially if located next to a brick wall, we are talking years here not months (2-3 per side). Other than that it is take care as per normal.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have read it also I'm not sure if it was in the pine book but. Anyway the bark will age faster on the shady side, especially if located next to a brick wall, we are talking years here not months (2-3 per side). Other than that it is take care as per normal.

Hmmmm. Do you know why? Moisture level? Cooler temp? Lack of UV? Lack of air movement? I think I will open my eyes the next time I am in the woods to see if I can see a pattern to this - other than moss growth of course...

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rich,

I'm busy of late but rest assured if I come accross the reference once again I will enlighten us all. I have seen it more than once and in more than one reference. But then again, this could just be another one of those "published myths".

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Not that it matters for the interesting discussion, but what I'm refering to is not the maturity of the bark but environmental differences. The air is much cleaner where I live.

There's an article in an old issue of BE about how to artificially age bark. It was done with ye olde sphagnum moss and some kind of mesh (or what it's called). As to the shade-thingy, I'm pretty certain that the bark on Betula pendula matures on the south side (i.e the sunny side) first?

Top Bottom