YamadoriFL 2020-2025 Azalea contest entry

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello there. This is one of my first posts and I'd like to share a new nursery semi-dwarf Azalea I'd like to enter in your contest. I bought it in this 3 gal pot mainly because of the nice established roots and trunk flair. I cut the pot down before the first pic to tease the roots a bit. The last pic is of my first round of cuts, it's getting late so I'll revisit tomorrow.

Thanks, YamFL.

Attachments

• IMG_2235 2.jpg
    IMG_2235 2.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2236 2.jpg
    IMG_2236 2.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2239 2.jpg
    IMG_2239 2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 63

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello there. This is one of my first posts and I'd like to share a new nursery semi-dwarf Azalea I'd like to enter in your contest. I bought it in this 3 gal pot mainly because of the nice established roots and trunk flair. I cut the pot down before the first pic to tease the roots a bit. The last pic is of my first round of cuts, it's getting late so I'll revisit tomorrow.

Thanks, YamFL.
Welcome to the contest! So your plans are a twin trunk? Be sure to cover up those cuts to help healing.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks. Twin trunk or other, I’ll see where it wants to go. Good back budding going on at the lower trunk area. That, in and of itself may end up changing the styling direction. FL growing season going strong. Sahara dust keeping the tropical storms at bay.

18C14490-061C-4BB3-8F51-E2E208D14A74.jpeg

A23E76B9-479A-4CD6-8D2C-CD9D08CFE34E.jpeg

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I got some kind of inspiration and chopped and trimmed a bit tonight. It’s not much taller than that sea grape I posted last night. Pics are from different angles.

D359E0FB-9BD4-4494-B091-D79B5E4D0C3F.jpeg

I think this may end up being the front.
7178D8FF-FBD6-4C70-A179-4BAEC52A32A9.jpeg

Last edited:

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Here is is a potential idea. I think the direction may go something like this:

A48CC304-7AB3-4616-B220-F14570D92C29.jpeg

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That growth on your azalea as you got it was amazing, including the backbudding. I would have said that if you do that last idea, the transition between your fat trunk and the somewhat thinner branch that becomes your new trunk line, won't even out and become gradual within 5 years. But maybe with some really really strong Florida growing seasons worth of growth budding off from that currently thin branch, maybe it will even out enough?

I think I would try to chop the intermediate thickness branch, build an apex on the fat trunk, and then see what to do with the thin second trunk. A bushy apex that doesn't show any branch structure can kind of hide that it was chopped and thus suddenly stops.

Same with saying that 5 years is too little to grow an entirely new branch, for example using that shoot at the base of your proposed chop.

Even if 5 years is not enough, you may want to try to go ahead with it anyway, because it could give you the best long-term results and this competition is just this random thing on the internet. But with all that backbudding on the fat branch... why cut it rather than use it? I think I would cut the branch going to the left on your last image. Keep the fat one. The backward facing one seems to have a nice natural curve to it. (I was going to say 'cut the backward facing one' but then your Y-split looks so 2 dimensional). You will have a scar right on the front of your trunk, though.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Harunobu so you're thinking chop this intermediate? That could turn out nice. Thanks, let me think about that for a bit. I appreciate the advice :)

7178D8FF-FBD6-4C70-A179-4BAEC52A32A9.jpeg

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I took two cuttings also that we'll see what happens with.

Clones.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!
While you are at it, you might try adding some softwood cuttings in there from the hardwood cuttings. I think they might end up doing better. But hey its Florida, anything possible! 😉
Cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Top Bottom