Yamdori Red Maple

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I posted on this tree a long while ago and can't find the thread. I thought it was a hornbeam, turns out it was a red maple. This past weekend I got around to doing some preliminary carving and put it in a suitable training pot. Besides taking a good chunk of finger and even more chunks of thick roots, it was smooth sailing. The tree/pot/soil lost about 50lbs in the process.

Note the rootball. It was planted in turface (yup), pumice and chicken grit. I only had to shake the tree to take off ALL of the old soil. Repotted in a mix of akadama, lava, pumice.

Though I lost a good bit of branching, perhaps due to unhappy roots in water retentive soil, I believe I have just enough to make an attempt at an old and battered tree.

More on the blog.

Attachments

• IMG_6138.JPG
    IMG_6138.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6711.JPG
    IMG_6711.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7319.JPG
    IMG_7319.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7322.JPG
    IMG_7322.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7324.JPG
    IMG_7324.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7325.JPG
    IMG_7325.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 82

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Love it! just be aware that you may need to use a wo0d hardener a few times a year. I have a red maple too and the wood rots pretty fast

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love it! just be aware that you may need to use a wo0d hardener a few times a year. I have a red maple too and the wood rots pretty fast

Very good idea. I've a tube in the garage. There was indeed some rotted, punky wood in the center of this trunk that we took out. Thanks for commenting.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really like this tree. The carving looks great and very natural. Good luck with it and I will be watching for more updates!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a bruiser of a stump Berob. I just repotted a smaller version and have fingers crossed.
Regarding the wood hardener, I have used Minwax brand on a bougie I have, and it seems to have done a nice job so far. It's been at least a year. I should probably reapply soon for best protection.

Top Bottom