Yankadori: a story of exploration

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
So, just getting into the bonsai thing. Figured I needed to get my hands wet, but no time to collect/kids/eta. So I was walking one day (January 2018) and saw a tiny Japanese honeysuckle, grabed ahold of it, yanked it out and carried it to the car. At the office threw it in a bag, metro/train ride, bus, car and finally home.

The sad little thing lost most of its roots, but I put it in a small pot over a rock with some potting soil. It leafed out, and by May had filled the little pot with roots. I cut the bottom off of the pot and set it in a larger one. First image a couple of weeks ago. You can still see the first pot on top. Second image, pot removed. Sadly, lost a couple of lower branch (I admit, I killed them by mistake). I’m sure it will back bud, And I can build from there.

World class bonsai? Nope. Tree in a pot and awesome teacher? Yep. Long story short, if you are in zone 7ish, great species to start learning from.
221D8539-C4C1-4745-9C7F-1BB6381DA981.jpeg2FCD59CC-015F-4A10-8753-2BEE41F140EA.jpegE009480C-8E04-4209-AE7C-E460C544E9EF.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collection requires permission. THis sounds like a nag. It isn't. This is a Japanese Honeysuckle that is an invasive plant around these parts. It's not an issue collecting it without asking.

Collecting OTHER stuff that isn't a weed requires permission from the landowner, period. I could also argue that making a habit of yanking stuff like this out of the ground can also cause collateral damage to other plants/landscaping, etc. that property owners probably aren't going to enjoy...Just sayin.

Honeysuckle is tough and can withstand just about anything, aside from being burned in a bonfire. It's also difficult to get branching on, just like other vines,

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Yikes. You raise logical points that I will not dispute. If it helps, honeysuckle is a horrible problem here, and it was in a stand of it. I hope I did a lot of collateral damage ! I did stomp the hole down to decrease erosion potential too! I was pretty sure the landowner wasn’t a wacko gun toting crazy dude (note: not all people who own guns are crazy).

I do have a neighbor like that though, he is always like “your leaves are blowing on my grass/the city cannot tell me where I can build a fence/your dog peed through the fence and my grass is discolored, I’m calling the city/your guests parked in front on my house, I’m calling the city...” I have no clue where I’m going with this, but I’m too lazy to delete it.

. Happy Friday ! Drink lots of beer, water or whatever it is you like to drink!

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yikes. You raise logical points that I will not dispute. If it helps, honeysuckle is a horrible problem here, and it was in a stand of it. I hope I did a lot of collateral damage ! I did stomp the hole down to decrease erosion potential too! I was pretty sure the landowner wasn’t a wacko gun toting crazy dude (note: not all people who own guns are crazy).

I do have a neighbor like that though, he is always like “your leaves are blowing on my grass/the city cannot tell me where I can build a fence/your dog peed through the fence and my grass is discolored, I’m calling the city/your guests parked in front on my house, I’m calling the city...” I have no clue where I’m going with this, but I’m too lazy to delete it.

. Happy Friday ! Drink lots of beer, water or whatever it is you like to drink!
I'm just south of you in No.Va. Japanese honeysuckle is EVERYWHERE. Hard to find a decent trunk on any of it. I have seen one that I'm going to get next year, though.

Top Bottom