Yard and Landscaping ideas for Bonsai?

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really sure where this post should have gone hopefully general discussion works.

Looking for ideas on setting up my yard for a growing bonsai collection. Looking for pics regarding stands, grow boxes, greenhouses (winter protection) and general ideas on landscaping with bonsai trees in mind. Any one have some pics they can post for ideas? Books or sites for reference?

Really getting into collecting and would love to see some ideas anticipating my collection is going to grow a lot this spring!
Thanks
Dave

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
The trees that I do not have displayed on our back deck are throughout the yard on small tree stumps with a piece of flagstone on top. If you can get the stump into the ground about a foot and a heavy piece of flagstone on top it is stable enough for just about any tree. Dave / Colorado Springs

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trees that I do not have displayed on our back deck are throughout the yard on small tree stumps with a piece of flagstone on top. If you can get the stump into the ground about a foot and a heavy piece of flagstone on top it is stable enough for just about any tree. Dave / Colorado Springs

Thanks I was curious how far people were 'planting' stumps and monkey polls.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A foot is minimal if you have larger trees, like over 12" or so, the weight of the pot and soil can lead to leaning poles and further down the road, toppled poles.

I have pretty large trees that carry a lot of weight, like 50-70 lbs and over. I constructed monkey poles out of 6"x6" deck posts with deck railing surfaces. I drove then 24" into the ground and still have had a bit of leaning on some of the poles supporting larger trees over the years.

Top Bottom