Yard Juniper repot

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a San Jose juniper that I had in the ground for years. I can't find a picture of it when it was in the ground. The first picture (middle tree) is before the re-pot. The others are today after the re-pot. I changed the angle and rotated the front a bit. I still need to arrange the foliage better. San Jose foliage is tough to work with. All comments are welcome.
Tona

Attachments

• yard 003.jpg
    yard 003.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Repot yard juniper 002.jpg
    Repot yard juniper 002.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Repot yard juniper 003.jpg
    Repot yard juniper 003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Repot yard juniper 004.jpg
    Repot yard juniper 004.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Repot yard juniper 005.jpg
    Repot yard juniper 005.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 92

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the new front. Good work...I think a different pot is needed.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are my observations, and pardon me as I'm new to bonsai. I prefer the original front side in the first picture, although the choice of pot and position in pot seem awkward. As for the new position and pot, I like how the lower trunk appears bigger and more tapered.

Would you care to say why you decided changing it to it's current state?

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that in time I will need to find a better pot, however, for now this will be have to do as a training pot. I'm going to let it rest for a while.
As far as position and angle; I had used a couple wedges and blocks to look at the tree from different angles over the last few few days. I settled on my personal preference. I wanted to show the trunk size as much as possible and use as much of the remaining tree as possible. I may remove a few more branches, but I will let it settle in my mind for the time being. I did remove a few branches on the left side yesterday (notice the jin).
When the tree was dug up about 2 years ago, the curved trunk extended much more and has been shortened considerably. I dug up three trees of about the same size and am now beginning work on them.
Thanks for the input,
Tona

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forwhatitsworth,

I think this tree suffers from not having a defined apex. Right now there is foliage all over the place and none of it defineing a form. If you squint it looks like a lolipop of foliage on a crooked stick. I mean that with the utmost respect.

If it were mine I would either choose to chop it and use the left side or clean off the trunk and use the right side.

Either one would create an apex and make the tree much more dynamic in form.

Attachments

• OKTONA.jpg
    OKTONA.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 49
  • apex left.jpg
    apex left.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 53
  • apexright.jpg
    apexright.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 57

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Al,
Wasn't sure which way I will go with the foliage. It is all over the place as you say. Hate the idea of chopping off the right side (that much of the trunk) but in time I may succumb to it. Thanks for the two verts as well. I will be considering them both. I was hoping someone like you would chime in with advice.
Tona

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw this earlier on my phone and thought the same as Al.

The branches--independently looks like wired nicely... but they are not working as a unit. You need a game plan first. :)

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Forwhatitsworth,

I think this tree suffers from not having a defined apex. Right now there is foliage all over the place and none of it defineing a form. If you squint it looks like a lolipop of foliage on a crooked stick. I mean that with the utmost respect.

If it were mine I would either choose to chop it and use the left side or clean off the trunk and use the right side.

Either one would create an apex and make the tree much more dynamic in form.
You took the words out of my mouth. All branches on top are going side way...and it is too flat and rounded on top.
You need to select one branch for apex and bend it up.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you guys think about changing the front before I remove any branches?

Attachments

• new front 001.jpg
    new front 001.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 35

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The lowest branch is making it difficult to see the tree both from this view and the other side. Can you take a pic from the other side and put a white bag or maybe a towel to "remove" (visually) the back (lowest) branch from the pic?

Thank you.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would go for the first virt Al showed us and let it grow out a season and clean it up from there.

Grimmy

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The lowest branch is making it difficult to see the tree both from this view and the other side. Can you take a pic from the other side and put a white bag or maybe a towel to "remove" (visually) the back (lowest) branch from the pic?

Thank you.

Hi Dario,
I'm on a trip up North until the 18th. When I get back I will try and post better pics from all sides. Thanks for your input.
Tona

Top Bottom