Yardadori Beech Development

Spacetime

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Last winter, an apartment complex near me was replacing their beech hedge. I conviced the landscaper to let me take one of the trees with me. Heading into this winter, the tree has set new buds so I am a little more confident in its survival and wondering about the timing of certain things.

I would like to fix the chop and make it more angular at the red line. When would be the best time for that?
beech 1edit.jpg
So far, most of the branching originates at the base of the tree. Apart from the new leader, there is only one branch that could conceivably become part of the new design. How do I go about encouraging budding on the trunk of the tree? And finally, I plan to ground layer the tree a little higher to hide that huge chop on the front of the tree. When should I do that? I thought to plant the tree in the ground to allow the new leader to thicken and place a tournique so that I can get a new nebari.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with doing it when the soil mass is frozen solid to minimize disturbance.

I don't think waiting would be a problem, I'd rather have that branch big enough to begin healing the wound.

There is a point where a thin branch just doesn't have the circumference to begin good healing.

I'd get it at least half as big as the trunk or more.

Sorce

Top Bottom