Yashino Cherry Collection

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This Yashino cherry was a victim of two nasty winters in a row...2014 & 2015. Last year I cut it down only leaving a few suckers coming up from the base. I buried the base in mulch. So....it had to go.....being replaced with ornamental grass. Around we go with the saws-all.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 203

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Since the rest of the tree wasn't there to use as a lever, the Kubota and chain was used to persuade it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 201

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Time to find what's in the all that mud.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 191

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Finding a bit of roots from the suckers trying to layer themselves.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 193

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As it was it weighed over 100 lbs.....that is not my idea of fun. The 100 lbs was drastically abbreviated with chain saw, keeping those sucker roots.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 200

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll dare it to live. Could be a fun carving project....someday!

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: Vin

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great project, I've always wanted to see a Yoshino cherry bonsai. It is hard t0 believe that winter can take out a full sized temperate tree like that, but Yoshino's aren't that cold hardy (zone 6?).

Lowe's had some for sale here in March of 2009. I had to have one, but it was dead within a few months since it clearly had had no winter.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great project, I've always wanted to see a Yoshino cherry bonsai. It is hard t0 believe that winter can take out a full sized temperate tree like that, but Yoshino's aren't that cold hardy (zone 6?).

Lowe's had some for sale here in March of 2009. I had to have one, but it was dead within a few months since it clearly had had no winter.
They have great flowers.....when it flowers. Never really flourished around here. It has a weird growth habit....."hopefully" bonsai culture and techniques can improve on it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike start a chainsaw thread!
I use them quite often at work. I'm finding out that the more mature I get the more they kick my ass.
I still get a kick out of using the big ones and cutting down screamers though.
We call real tall trees screamers because if you fall out of one you have time to let out a good scream before impact.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of old man killers! Who gets to hold the end of the 2 man. It also looks like it has a swivel bar so you dont have to tip it on its side. And the motorcycle bars! I got young guys working with me that would quit if they had to run one of those 2 saws.
And zero safety features on these they're so old.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of old man killers! Who gets to hold the end of the 2 man. It also looks like it has a swivel bar so you dont have to tip it on its side. And the motorcycle bars! I got young guys working with me that would quit if they had to run one of those 2 saws.
And zero safety features on these they're so old.
The Mcculloch only runs with me on the throttle side, believe it or not that saw is 62 lbs and is set up to run solo. The middle grip is a twist throttle!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Mcculloch only runs with me on the throttle side, believe it or not that saw is 62 lbs and is set up to run solo. The middle grip is a twist throttle!
You use those things? People around here hang them on the walls for fine art.

Top Bottom